Sign in to follow this  
jaybird1nyc

Need Help Finding Realistic Water Using FSX + DX10

I use Rex E+ and reset textures based on where I will be flying.  For instance this week I flew from Indianapolis to Charlotte, NC, to Elmira, NY, and back to Charlotte. The most significant water for the flights were the Ohio and later the Susquehanna rivers, and lake Norman in NC.  Not near any coastal water. So I set my textures for the week based on those. 

My FSX home base is Easton, Maryland, and the Chesapeake Bay and Delaware Bay are major features of that area.  So I load textures accordingly.

If I fly from Maryland to say Daytona Beach, FL, I just have to set a happy medium.

Each January I fly to the Caribbean (Cayman Islands and Jamaica) and back to SW Florida. So I load appropriate coastal and tropical water textures.

I have REX 4, and there really aren't too many choices when it come to water textures. You're not supposed to pick any textures that have 'burned-in" wave patterns, if you're using the DX10 fixer.  So, that basically leaves 3 choices: bright, medium and dark.  I chose dark and the coastal water is still too bright and too blue.  No way I've found to correct it.  Also, using any REX wave animation (I did try alot of them) resulted in horrible, unrealistic wave action.  My REX settings were DXT1 wave animation and DX10 enabled. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, REX E+ has alot more options and flexibility when it comes to water textures than REX 4 does.

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

I use Rex 4 textures and recently tried option 19, "photoreal", if not mistaken, and I liked the wave effects.

I mostly fly around South Florida and the PNW and the ocean looks nice with this wave effect. 

Alexander Alonso

REX E+ has alot more options and flexibility when it comes to water textures than REX 4 does.

Cannot say that's why I stuck with REX E+ but in all honesty the REX E+ live weather engine was not working to my satisfaction. Weather was generally OK, but winds aloft were all over the place. When the MS weather engine was working I got accurate winds aloft based on real world flight planning I do at FltPlan.com.  I didn't need another texture rendering software, so I use REX E+ for textures and FS Global Real Weather now for my weather engine. FS Global give me much more realistic winds and accurate weather.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks Mark, I am using 2x-Low at the moment, although I have tried Med and High, just to see. Now, as far as adding some nice REX textures, what exactly are you using, and are are also using the paid version of Steve's DX10 Fixer?

Ok, great.  I'm gonna try those settings and report back.

Thanks guys!!

I have REX4 and have selected some water textures that I like.  Personal preference, nothing special.  Yes, I use the paid version of DX10 Fixer.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000