Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Possible Fix to Application Freezes on Windows 7

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jim,

There's another issue with Windows 7.  I am running Win 7 Ultimate.  I fired up FS9 today after not using it since the beginning of August. 

I get the message "You must log in with administrator privileges to use this program."

I traced it to KB 3086255.  I'll leave it to others on here to develop a workaround.

Update-  In the technical data for KB3086255, it tells you how to start and stop the service it disables.  Following the instructions, I started the service and the program runs.

Tom

Edited by FormerSF3

Jim,

There's another issue with Windows 7.  I am running Win 7 Ultimate.  I fired up FS9 today after not using it since the beginning of August. 

I get the message "You must log in with administrator privileges to use this program."

I traced it to KB 3086255.  I'll leave it to others on here to develop a workaround.

Update-  In the technical data for KB3086255, it tells you how to start and stop the service it disables.  Following the instructions, I started the service and the program runs.

Tom

I didn't even get that far - I normally run with admin privileges in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode with visual themes and desktop composition off.

After installing this fix, it popped up the notice that windows was running in basic graphics mode (as expected), and then did nothing.

If you go the manual route as opposed to editing the registry, just make sure you open the command prompt as an administrator, otherwise

sc config secdrv start= demand

or

sc config secdrv start=auto

won't work.  Also, remember that you need a space after the equals sign in order for it to work properly.

I'm shocked.  Silent Hunter III works just fine.  Microsoft's own product gets broken by this security update...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this