Sign in to follow this  
johnnycaptain

Gfx Card or CPU for V3

Hi,

My current specs are an i7 3770, Radeon 7770 1GB, 8GB Ram, SSD, Cooler Master 212.  With my settings on average mid, my fps jumps between 12-35 fps with the PMDG 777 with no addons in the default KVPS. Im wondering what to upgrade for now for a marked improvement in fps and smoothness. Was looking at the i5 4690k vs the GTX 960 4GB. Getting either will require me to get a new PSU because mine is rubbish especially as I will look to overclock the CPU to 4.5GHZ. However the CPU will also require a new mobo. Which direction should i go to see a marked difference, CPU or GPU?

Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Question for you. Is your CPU a 3770 or 3770K? If it is a 3770, have you turbo boosted it? My understanding is both the K and the non-K can turbo boost up to 3.9GHz.

If I were you, I would get the video card. It would require less effort and give you a nice lift in performance. If you only changed out the CPU, your bottleneck would be at the graphics card and you would likely not see much of an improvement.

By the way, you might consider the 970 with 4G as it should give you the best bang for your buck.

By the way, you might consider the 970 with 4G as it should give you the best bang for your buck.

That was my initial thought too when I read the post!

Go for the 970 GTX, definitely the best graphics card atm regarding price vs. power. (But I have no idea if there is a better ATI card, as I don't like them ;) )

CPU upgrade would mean new Mono, new memory and not much of a boost for P3D coming from your CPU....