Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

ATC is not doing an accurate job

IFR flight plan, vectors to an ILS and the last vector leaves me parallel to the ILS about a mile, make it impossible to intercept.

Happenend twice.

Also on an IFR when they give you the last vector they tell you to report airport in sight?

You start the ILS follow the glideslope and ATC starts saying you are 300ft below your assigned alttitude, and continues saying it all the way to touch down.

Is there an alternate ATC program that works good? (Do not have the time to setup online gaming)

I'd like to test that out. What approach were you flying?

Chris

Is there an alternate ATC program that works good? (Do not have the time to setup online gaming)

Radar Contact

http://www.jdtllc.com/

Pro ATC

http://www.pointsoftware.de/proatcx_e/proatcxfeatures.html

Vox ATC for voice I think

http://voxatc.com/

PFE

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/pfe_what_is_it.htm

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

IFR flight plan, vectors to an ILS and the last vector leaves me parallel to the ILS about a mile, make it impossible to intercept.

Happenend twice.

Also on an IFR when they give you the last vector they tell you to report airport in sight?

You start the ILS follow the glideslope and ATC starts saying you are 300ft below your assigned alttitude, and continues saying it all the way to touch down.

Probably approaching from an acute angle intercept. Route instead to waypoint on extended centreline of runway in use. Then select the approach.

Works every time and reduces the number of go-arounds because of traffic conflicts.

The last vector is exactly that - an instruction to allow you to vector to the localiser, as pilot you choose the angle of that interception. If you're too close choose an inverse approach technique - instead of turning 90 degrees toward the ILS you turn 270 away from it and intercept it from further out.

And if you're not flying IFR yes, you report runway in sight.

If ATC is telling you are above or below your assigned altitude you need to correct the altimeter. Use the ATIS to get the current pressure, or just press `B` key.

No point trying to go for a more sophisticated ATC until you understand the basics - go here to study (we all did, it's been around for donkeys years and recognised as the de facto training tool for flight sim instrument flight and approaches).

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

Im a pilot and I fly real IFR, when ATC gives you vectors to intercept the localizer , it is a heading that will actually intercept the localizer, and once  you intercept the localizer you do the ILS and follow the glideslope.

In prepar 3D ATC is giving me vectors that wont intercept the localizer.

So If I ignore those vectors and intercept the localizer and start the ILS then it says Im below the assigned alttitude when I start following the glideslope. That is because ATC has not cleared me for the ILS.

Its weird, and no is not from a strange difficult angle.

Maybe the flightplan part is what Im doing wrong.

When I open an IFR flight plan which is the option to use in Prepar 3D when doing an ILS?

I think I’ve done more instrument approaches into Paine field in both the sim and real life than any other airport. I don’t always use ATC (because it sucks), but I’ve never had any issues that you describe. Are you sure you didn’t accidently select the VFR option when making the flight plan. I’ve done this before and it essentially puts you into flight following.

BTW, I saw on another forum I frequent that you’re going to be flying up here in April. Looks like a fun trip, have you had a chance to try it in the sim yet?

Brian W

KPAE

I think I’ve done more instrument approaches into Paine field in both the sim and real life than any other airport. I don’t always use ATC (because it sucks), but I’ve never had any issues that you describe. Are you sure you didn’t accidently select the VFR option when making the flight plan. I’ve done this before and it essentially puts you into flight following.

BTW, I saw on another forum I frequent that you’re going to be flying up here in April. Looks like a fun trip, have you had a chance to try it in the sim yet?

Will try it some more, I never had any problems in 2.5

As far as the April trip using ASN and historical ,it has been very interesting, kind of nice up to Oregon and then fog and mist and most likely ice, so some interesting options I need to study before the trip.

Not sure if going up the California coast or east of the mountains yet.

But definitely Prepar 3D has been a great training tool to get  familiar for the trip,  with the areas, the terrain and weather, much better than looking at them in a chart.

motoadve, I just tested a short hop from KORS to KBFI IFR using the default VOR to VOR routing - CVV (V165) DIGGN (v495) LOFAL. I was initially given a visual 13L approach but was able to request change of runway and approach to ILS 13R vectors to final. At first I actually only requested the change of approach and was given ILS 13R sidestep to 13L. It has been years since I used default ATC in FSX or P3D. It actually is better than I remember. Anyway I received a final vector to intercept the localizer and it worked as expected. 

From your description in the first post, I'm betting you may have been given the visual approach, otherwise I'm wouldn't expect to have to report the airport in sight.

The last vector is exactly that - an instruction to allow you to vector to the localiser, as pilot you choose the angle of that interception. If you're too close choose an inverse approach technique - instead of turning 90 degrees toward the ILS you turn 270 away from it and intercept it from further out.

A vector to intercept the final approach course is given by ATC as a specific heading to fly. Ryan who chimed in earlier in this thread I'm sure can give the specifics on max intercept angles (I want to say it is 20-30 degrees). You as the pilot don't choose your own....in the US anyway.

Chris

motoadve, I just tested a short hop from KORS to KBFI IFR using the default VOR to VOR routing - CVV (V165) DIGGN (v495) LOFAL. I was initially given a visual 13L approach but was able to request change of runway and approach to ILS 13R vectors to final. At first I actually only requested the change of approach and was given ILS 13R sidestep to 13L. It has been years since I used default ATC in FSX or P3D. It actually is better than I remember. Anyway I received a final vector to intercept the localizer and it worked as expected. 

From your description in the first post, I'm betting you may have been given the visual approach, otherwise I'm wouldn't expect to have to report the airport in sight.

A vector to intercept the final approach course is given by ATC as a specific heading to fly. Ryan who chimed in earlier in this thread I'm sure can give the specifics on max intercept angles (I want to say it is 20-30 degrees). You as the pilot don't choose your own....in the US anyway.

Yep I agree with this stuff....  seems like the OP selected visual approach.  

Fixed wing yes for intercept angles... 45 degrees max for helo (outside of 3 miles from the FAF roughly)

Also caution that that angle is a course (so take into consideration wind) if you're doing your own vectors.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |