Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Seems, just overnight---the XP franchise...has blossomed, yep.

From this pilot.......................they feel more or less the same. At least with good payware models, that is.  My CPU runs both sims with a high fluid rate (most of the time). 

Convert your planes to v7 airfoils that are native to XPX.41...and then tell me what you think about flight physics...

Get back to me...:)))))

Just curious, I see a few posts where people have both X plane and P3D or FSX on their systems. How do the FPS compare between these two, in other words, if I can get a reasonable 30 FPS average with P3D, what should I expect to get in X plane with the same basic settings? 

Apples to apples...exactly the same or better in XP.  I run all three....XPX.41, FSX-boxed, and P3D v2.5...and all keep around 30 FPS with my CPU/GTX680 2GB combo.  I have all the sims pretty well maxed out, again, apples to apples.  You will do well.

Right on que LAdamson

I think it depends system to system but you should try out the demo and some of the free add ons. 

I agree with everybody that states, you cannot get a good leg-up, by only using the demo area...and be pressured for assessment by the 10-15 minute full control limitations.  I bet, that when most start flying around their own, familiar territory...and can have the time to tweak the settings for their particular visual/performance needs, etc...does the user really start to appreciate just what they have here.

Unfortunately the demo limitations can work against a fair assessment of the flight sim.  Just my opinion, but it didn't do it for me. I knew that I either had to you-know-what, or get off the pot.  I purchased the DVD's...and it was one of the best moves of my flight simming bag of tricks.  You just have to be willing to drop the coin on the price of the full sim...but by the many positive comments on this thread...it is, again in my opinion, not a chancy gamble to the prospective purchaser.  

Just curious, I see a few posts where people have both X plane and P3D or FSX on their systems. How do the FPS compare between these two, in other words, if I can get a reasonable 30 FPS average with P3D, what should I expect to get in X plane with the same basic settings? 

X-Plane is much smoother and stable on my system. It does take a little time to setup and learn some of the differences, but this community will facilitate that process.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

X-Plane is much smoother and stable on my system. It does take a little time to setup and learn some of the differences, but this community will facilitate that process.

I've seen FPS counts, that exceed 200 with my system, whether I can actually visually see that difference or not. For those, that think above 30 isn't noticeable by the eye, they're wrong. Usually the FPS will be in the upper 40's through 60's. I've also been able to drag both X-Plane and FSX down into the 20's. At the end of the day, they're both fluid and smooth, most of the time. In my old simming days, the fluidness of X-Plane had the advantage. It's no longer the case.  

I still believe a solid stable 60 fps is the minimum acceptable.

In Aerowinx PSX I get 72. When I used XP10 or FSX for the visuals of that sim I always tried to lower the sliders and unload add-ons until I could get a min 60 fps.

60 fps is also what I get in DCS World and IL2-BoS and Rise of Flight. Less that that is not good, and as you point out Larry, it's quite perceptible...

In XP10 the 64 bit might have made crashes less frequent, but they have nothing to do with smoothness, although overall I always get a better sense of fluidity in the flight displays in XP10 than I do fro FSX, even at lower fps in X-Plane.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

XPX being more smooth was my main motivation to start using it, as stutters in P3D drove me crazy. Now I'm suspecting that my stutter issues are caused by a RAM slot malfunction on my mobo which forces me to run my RAM in single channel mode at just 800mhz. 

As soon as i7 6700k is back in stock I'm getting a brand new PC and P3D will get another chance. But having used XPX for a while now and recently purchasing the excellent REP from simcoders (giving Carenado aircraft an A2A-like makeover) I would not be surpriced if XPX continues to be my goto sim.

XPX being more smooth was my main motivation to start using it, as stutters in P3D drove me crazy. Now I'm suspecting that my stutter issues are caused by a RAM slot malfunction on my mobo which forces me to run my RAM in single channel mode at just 800mhz. 

As soon as i7 6700k is back in stock I'm getting a brand new PC and P3D will get another chance. But having used XPX for a while now and recently purchasing the excellent REP from simcoders (giving Carenado aircraft an A2A-like makeover) I would not be surpriced if XPX continues to be my goto sim.

I have always had stutters with P3D in any version. In XPX, no such stutter issues. I don't think it is your hardware, but software driven.  The only two platforms that for me, have absolutely no stutters, if I can maintain over 20 FPS at all times, (which I can...) are XPX and FS9.  Still get some stutters in FSX here and there, but not continually annoying as P3D version (anything/FPS anything). I just live with it...no choice.

XPX, (back on topic) has always been smooth, from version 9, up on my gig. (20 FPS and above.).

I still believe a solid stable 60 fps is the minimum acceptable.

In Aerowinx PSX I get 72. When I used XP10 or FSX for the visuals of that sim I always tried to lower the sliders and unload add-ons until I could get a min 60 fps.

60 fps is also what I get in DCS World and IL2-BoS and Rise of Flight. Less that that is not good, and as you point out Larry, it's quite perceptible...

In XP10 the 64 bit might have made crashes less frequent, but they have nothing to do with smoothness, although overall I always get a better sense of fluidity in the flight displays in XP10 than I do fro FSX, even at lower fps in X-Plane.

isn't Aerowinx a 2D Sim?  and DCS World is not the whole planet......for sure fps will be high with less graphics to process.