Sign in to follow this  
teofilo

DirectX 10 square clouds

Hey guys, 
I am using Steve's DX 10 fixer and everything works great exept 2 issues:

1. Some clouds appear as squares (stratus). Check attached pictures. How can I fix it?

2. Airports at some airports flicker or sometimes they don't appear. For example KATL from Imaginesim. Most of the airport work just fine.

I have FSX with REX Overdrive for textures only. I also own Active Sky next, PMDG 737NGX, etc.

How can I fix these issues?

Teo

square clouds.jpg

Teofilo Homsany

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

If you are using 32 bit textures compression in REX, try changing to DXT5.  Problem fixed for many.

Shimmering in DX9 or DX10 cannot be completely fixed everywhere.  One way to reduce shimmering is to change the Texture filtering-Negative LOD Bias to Clamp.  Whe you state airports flicker, this is a shadowing issue fixed by the DX10 Fixer.

You should also make sure graphics settings are set as recommended in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Try clearing your shader cache:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX folder.  Delete the contents of the  Shader10 folder.

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks a lot guys! will check your suggestions out!

Regards,

Teo

Teofilo Homsany

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The problem only occurs with ASN when the CPU is busy. The shader is receiving a solid texture which is what it draws. I have purchased ASN to investigate this and I have put a workaround in the next version of the fixer to try and detect this scenario and thus hide the solid texture. It isn't a complete fix as the high level clouds may momentarily disappear but it should be a lot less intrusive. As Jim suggests using compressed textures rather than 32 bit may help alleviate the problem in the meantime.

• Upvote 1