Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

Questions on Video Drivers

I have an older GTX660 video card with 331.65 WHQL drivers.  I have always had the philosophy that "if it works, don't change it".  And, I have seen posts that say the latest drivers may have problems.

After all that, my question is :  what new driver should I be using (if any) ?

Dave Hinson

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Dave.  Nvidea will recommend using the latest compatible Driver for your card type.   But really personally speaking and as you said, if it aint broke don't change it 

The general advice has always been if all is well no need to update. However, when new games are released a few driver tweaks are usually required to get the best out of the game. Nvidia/AMD will tweak the driver to be compatible with the new software.

FSX is another story though, Nvidia/AMD don't give a monkeys about outdated software, [ not sure how that applies to P3D or FSX Steam] and that's exactly what FSX is. So when new drivers are released, it's a good idea to listen to the community, if others have tried a new driver and report that it's advantageous then go ahead. If other report it's dodgy for FSX then avoid.

It's rare that a new driver will have significant issues. The Beta might, but not the release candidate.

After all that, my question is : what new driver should I be using (if any) ?

The one you're happy with. Or the version you need for your new game. Or for the sim, try the one that the community suggests might be advantageous.

The only reason I'm running with the latest Nvidia driver is because it was required for a new game I purchased. Nothing to do with the sim.