Sign in to follow this  
Guest C172pilot

Why are so many GA staff rude?

Out of curiosity, I just called a local banner towing company to find out what their pilots might expect to make as far as a range of pay goes.Just curious. Looks like a fun job.So the first woman I spoke with, after failing to answer ANY question I asked, including the name of the person at their company I would speak with, and giving me a complete runaround, suggested,"Why don't you call the local fast-food restaurant and ask what they pay their people?"Needless to say the irrelevance and runaround was stunning. When I asked for her name, she hung up.So I called back and spoke with "Barbara" - the owner - and asked the same question. I was given equal runaround.Apparently this is very, very emotional and sensitive information. Instead of simply saying, "sorry, we don't give out that information", they each labored and stretched to simply be able to comprehend what dangers may be lurking in my seemingly innocent question....Now, those of you who are utterly humorless (and I don't just mean comedy) may sit back, assuring yourself that these two women certainly don't owe me, a (who am I?), any type of courtesy or good nature. But I must say that through my training (44 hours or so) I have encountered more people with less sense of humor* than almost any other industry, DMV notwithstanding.I've encountered rude deskworkers, rude gas attendants, rude restaurant managers... a rude instructor**, and rude weather service personnel.What gives? Anyone else?How much DO banner tow pilots make?!? ;)Andrew*Oh, I know. Flying is SERIOUS BUSINESS and cracking a smile is a sign of utter contempt for the safety of yourself and others.**My first instructor (150)... yeah. My VERY first hop in a 152? .2 hours. That's point-two. Why? He insisted on taking off with a fast-approaching front, which began pelting us almost immediately after takeoff. Hey, hours and pay for him. On my second flight, just an introductory flight, he asked me to try to bank around a gas station. Well, I thought I was doing pretty well - when suddently he jerked the controls, back and forth, left to right, saying, "How do you think your passengers feel if you fly like THIS?" Last, I lent him my copy of that old emergency procedures software - it was for Mac, I forget what it was called... and he stole it. After five lessons I quit, returning to the same school but a different (and much better) instructor four years later. 172 this time.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

IF the banner company is doing everything strictly on the up-and-up, the pilot will probably get minimum wage. In a lot of less picky operations, he'll get nothing - it's an hour building thing. Most CFI's are only getting around $10 to $12 an hour, meter time only, for teaching.This could well be why the people you called were less than forthcoming. Their pilots comp package may have been, shall we say, less than strictly Kosher.Richard

"Now, those of you who are utterly humorless (and I don't just mean comedy) may sit back, assuring yourself that these two women certainly don't owe me, a (who am I?), any type of courtesy or good nature."I guess I fall into that category. Before I ever found my way into I.T., I "earned my dues" by working in a retail store for several years, which included long stretches at the switchboard.If someone called me out of the blue asking me what my general manager made (all the while I'm toiling away at minimum wage), and I don't know that person, why should I waste my time answering the call? They aren't a paying customer. And then having the nerve to ask my name because I don't greet the question with a smile? For anyone in customer service, the "I want your name" question is as "in your face" as you can get.Likely by the time you spoke with Barbara she was already aware of your previous call.We were instructed that anyone sounding abusive in the slightest was to be hung up on. Asking someone for their name is a threat in the business of answering calls--at least in the context of the type of call you made. It's the same as "I'm going to get you". I can't measure how much time I've spent around GA facilities--I used to wash planes in exchange for rides back in my teens. I haven't found the staff any more rude than any other industry. Perhaps it's the part of the country you live in--for instance, here in AZ I suspect landscapers aren't very pleasant to deal with in the summertime :)I have heard of CFI's who were pure jerks. But working around programmers, I find that the jerk category isn't limited to CFI's... Just remember--they are employed by you to teach you. Let them know how you want to be taught, and find another. -John

I currently have 53.2hours(I know my sig says otherwise) and for me, I have an idea that my cfi's get 12bucks an hour, that is, the hours they work.I don't think flight schools in particular like giving out that kind of information as it kind is not anyones biz. how much they pay their workers.. everyone knows that if you work at wendy's expect to get paid crap..Anyways, to tow gliders/signs I believe you need to have your commercial rating,hence, getting paid for your flight hours.good luck.Also, sorry to hear about that mean woman on the phone.Come to chicago, no mean flying people here :-)

Well.. except for chicago-mayor Daley... HE SUCKS. destroyed meigs field.....