Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Need Help With Win10 Install Please

Hi guys
Got a problem that driving me nuts - can anyone help please?
Currently running Windows7 64bit
I have a spare SSD that I want to install Windows10 on, in order to run a dual boot system.
HOWEVER, this SSD previously had my Win7 on it, and apparently has the MBR on it.
The Win10 installation finds this and refuses to install.
I've tried many ways to clean the disk, but the MBR is obviously refusing to shift, even after deleting the only visible partition.
I'm getting very short of time to do this, so if anyone can help I'd be mega grateful
Ta!

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/6800/tweaktown-s-ultimate-windows-ssd-performance-installation-guide/index3.html

You need to format the drive you wish to install W10 on to GUID Partion Table (GPT). You can do it from a current copy of windows or through a boot program (GParted for example). By virtue of changeing the PT you will format the drive and all data will be lost. Make sure you back it up before hand. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Have you tried to format the SSD?  That is what I had to do.

I've tried every which way of formatting until I got square eyes - doesn't work with an MBR

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/6800/tweaktown-s-ultimate-windows-ssd-performance-installation-guide/index3.html

You need to format the drive you wish to install W10 on to GUID Partion Table (GPT). You can do it from a current copy of windows or through a boot program (GParted for example). By virtue of changeing the PT you will format the drive and all data will be lost. Make sure you back it up before hand. 

Thanks Jordan, that looks promising... Off to try;-)

I think I may have other issues???  This is what I get when launching GParted

IMG_0432.jpg

What I had to do was go into Disc Management and find the disc which windows had portioned into 2 drives.  I have no idea why.  Then I uninstalled the smaller partition, which had the MBR, then I was able to format it as a simple drive.  Make sure you do this the administrator.  Hope this helps!

(In your above listed screenshot, gparted might not have a driver for your controllers?)

In the command line, use the diskpart tool to manipulate your drives and clean them as needed. The "clean" command of diskpart will utterly and completely destroy any data on the selected drive. Be DARN SURE you have the right drive, and as always, have full and complete backups before proceeding with any potentially damaging updates.

diskpart

list disk (find disk number you wish to clean)
select disk X  (where X is the disk number of the drive you wish to clean)
list disk (to confirm it's the right one, selected with a *)
clean

exit

Then reboot fully with a hard reset or power off.

Boom. Drive is cleared of any and all partitions and you should be OK to install with it. I've used this method to properly clear various drives in my constant shifting between Win7, Win8, and WIn10 over the past several years. I encountered the very same GPT vs. NTFS issues you are, but once I learned this "cleaning" method, all is well.

Good luck. Have backups!

-Greg

• Upvote 1

It turns out that those GParted error messages meant it didn't recognise the 3rd party SATA interface that my two DVD drives are on (PCI to Sata).

Finally got GParted to cort the drive. Now i'm just trying to figure out how to dual boot Win7 and Win10, INSTEAD of upgrading;-)