Sign in to follow this  
TiggCJ

Serious Landing Glitch

Dear Reader,

Sometimes when I land an aroplane in FSX (hasn't happen for helicopters yet) on some runways the aircraft sinks into the ground on touchdown after the flare, thus registering it as a crash. This happens even if all the landing preparations are completed and correct (speed, approach, flare, gear down & locked, flaps etc.).

This happens mostly on manual landings, as this is how I make most of them, but has occurd on some autopiloted landings too and is increasing in occurance. Even if the landing is hard, surely the suspension in the gear should counter this and the aircraft not sink into the ground? 

Can anyone help/explain as to why this is happening (could it be a virus, computer fault) and how to correct it? 

Many thanks.

TiggCJ

Is it always flying the same aircraft? If so, which one?

Is it always landing at the same airport? If so which one?

Could be the plane, but it might also be a mesh/landclass problem if you are running conflicting airport or scenery add-ons.

Often your simply hitting the runway with too much force. Consider this:

1) Is the aircraft heavy with fuel?

2) Auto pilot should take you to the runway but not land it as most auto pilot's don't flare.

3) Rate of decent at touchdown should be quite low the heavier you are.

Moe

Also might be good to turn off crash detection - You don't need it to know if you messed up, and all it does is to reset your game with no option even for replay.

I saw this myself a while back on my NGX into Ray Smith's KBOS. Got basically sucked onto 33L from 50ft...While I did go below Vref earlier on approach and did not quite stablize by 1000 AGL, no stall warning, or stick shaker, or windshear/microburst warning from ASN, or warnings of any kind were observed while the machine smashed down just past threshold, except for a EGPWS sinkrate as it did that.

For a short while I thought I hit a seawall or something, but instant replay showed otherwise. No idea what happened or why it happened, but it didn't happen again for some time, at least not with the lighter aircrafts I've been flying around other airports.

Thanks all for your help.

To answer your questions:

It mostly happens when operating the A319/A320 aircraft and often at London Southend Airport (SEN/EGMC). However this could be to do with that I use that airport and planes most often. However, it has happened on other aircraft and airports too. Those aircraft I've downloaded from Simviation.com. Could that have something to do with it?

I can admit to perhaps leaving the autopilot on too long and having to rush the flare sometimes.

As I said, this doesn't happen always but is becoming more common on more aircraft and airports and happens even if things/conditions are correct.

Thanks all for your help.

To answer your questions:

It mostly happens when operating the A319/A320 aircraft and often at London Southend Airport (SEN/EGMC). However this could be to do with that I use that airport and planes most often. However, it has happened on other aircraft and airports too. Those aircraft I've downloaded from Simviation.com. Could that have something to do with it?

I can admit to perhaps leaving the autopilot on too long and having to rush the flare sometimes.

As I said, this doesn't happen always but is becoming more common on more aircraft and airports and happens even if things/conditions are correct.

Don't use the auto pilot get a feel for the plane by hand flying the climb and descent phases of flight.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.