Sign in to follow this  
andy a

Intermittent breaks in radio comms between CoPilot and ATC

Hi Ray,

Tonight I've flown Glasgow to Manchester with no comms problems at all, so the Disk Cleanup seems to have been the answer!!

The return flight Manchester to Glasgow was fine until the Approach Controller,  your goodself, said to "contact the tower". Pilot acknowledged landing clearance, but there was no instruction from the tower...but I can live with that.

I did make a log of the flight, however I don't think there is any need for me to trouble JD with it, as there is a 99.9% improvement in the program as far as my PC is concerned. It's a pity my lack of understanding of "good housekeeping" has taken up so much of your time, and I apologise for that.

I will consider getting a second 250 Gb SSD to house all the FSX stuff.

As I have previously said Ray, I appreciate your assistance very much indeed, and without it I would probably have stopped using RC. Thank you most sincerely

Kind regards

Andy

andy a

Ray,

I should've added that RC Pre recorded chatter was not selected during the 2 flights, but FSX chatter was.

I'm going to try a flight with RC pre recorded on, as I think it's a great feature.

Andy

andy a

Hi Andy,

That's good to hear. :smile:  Unless you can identify unwanted programs to reclaim more space you will certainly need additional storage. A standard PC case has enough space for a second SSD. It's then a reasonably straight-forward task to move FSX scenery to that drive and change the path in scenery.cfg. Alternatively, uninstall and reinstall will do instead.

It was such a strange 'bug' but the key was when you said how much of your drive was used. Hopefully this thread might help others.

Thanks for reporting back and your kind comments. Happy flying.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray

I thought you may be interested in an update.

I have installed a second Samsung 250GB SSD (F Drive), and installed FSX and all my aircraft addons, ORBX Scenery and REX products to this drive. Radar Contact v4.3 was reinstalled to Program Files(x86)in the C drive.

RC problem still persisted unfortunately, and I sent a Log File to JD.  He asked if FSX was running at 2x speed, if I was running FSX or RC with extra cpu%, or with cpu affinity. I don't know what these mean, but I mention them as someone may, at sometime, find some food for thought.

Another suggestion JD made was very helpful, and the comms problem now seems to have been resolved(fingers crossed). JD said to reduce the quality of the sound, as some cards "produce sound quality that human ears can't sense or appreciate".

My Realtek sound is onboard the Motherboard, and I have reduced the setting from 24 bits 192000Hz down to 16 bits 192000 Hz.

I have made 4 flights and all comms were audible. I selected Pre Recorded Chatter and AI Chatter. I also selected only 6 Controllers..all working ok.

It just so happened that the last Log File I made for JD had comms problems right from t "Clearance" to the "Turn off at the high speed" after touchdown. It gave him something to work on.

I didn't have the problem until almost a year after I bought the PC, and I didn't change any sound settings previously, so I don't know what happened...but I'm happy it's fixed now.

Kind regards

Andy

andy a

Hi Andy,

What JD was asking is whether you had assigned more CPU resources to FSX as this would then have a detrimental effect on RC4.

The reduction of sound quality to resolve the problem is a new one to me. As long as the problem is solved then I'm sure you're happy.

Thanks for letting us know. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray

Thank you for your reply, and the CPU info.

Yes I'm happy the problem is solved, and thank you again for your help throughout. :smile:

Kind regards

Andy

andy a

Pre-recorded chatter is not recommended as it introduces lots of chatter not relevant to your flight such as general low altitude chatter when you are flying in the upper ATC strata. This loads down your audio card unnecessarily. The chatter you really need is produced by the presence of AI which affects traffic. You do not have the performance capability of an added audio card, even a simple one, unless your "hi-rez settings" you are referring to are on an added card.

FS and RC do not use surround, just stereo but the L-R channels are duplicates. Some cards emulate 5.1 or 7.1 from stereo which adds overhead and sometimes interfere with RC audio channel distribution.

Just some added information for future reference.

Your reference to 192000 Hz probably is a typo and is probably 19200 Hz. since the human audible range decays rapidly after after about 20000 Hz. Some say they can sense a quality difference using 22000Hz limits but that would be very unusual.

One of the things that attracted me to Radar Contact v4.3 was this wording in RC Quick Start: "Enhanced Pre Recorded Chatter is available to further the immersion experience while flying". Whilst I appreciate that hearing a pilot of an aircraft flying over London to"take some photographs" immediately after a comm from a Virgin Atlantic at FL 320 wouldn't normally be heard, I enjoy this chatter.

I do not have an added sound card. The RealTek is onboard mb, and I can assure you that 16 bits 192000 Hz(Studio Quality) as per RealTek HD Audio Manager.

I would also reiterate that I purchased Radar Contact v 4.3 in 2013, and enjoyed using it with "Pre Recorded Chatter", without any problem whatsoever until December 2015.

Anyway I'm now happy that the program is performing ok.

Thank you for your reply.

andy a