Sign in to follow this  
michal

airline pilot unfit to fly Cessna 172 ??!!

Maybe someone can shed some light on this.FLYING mag describes an accident in which a 25,000 hour professional pilot joined a flying club and on one of his flights in a rented C172 did a 3-bounce landing that sheared the nose gear and he ultimately nosed over.They said he only had 25-hour experience in "small general aviation airplanes" and had no single engine land rating.What kind of planes was he flying for airlines if he did not have "single engine land" rating ? Clearly in order to have multi-engine rating you must first have the single engine one. In order to run you first have to to walk. What is going on here ?Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest ba747heavy

It might be a currency thing. I was confused when I read that too.

>It might be a currency thing. I was confused when I read>that too.Good, at least I am not alone. I sent this question to the editor. "Rating" in my opinion is something else than currency. Rating is printed on your license apart from any currency considerations.Michael J.

Most likely he was ex-military. Most of those guys have little or no GA experience. There is no requirement to have a single engine license before a multiengine license. If he was in the military, all his time would most likely have been jet. Though 25 hours sounds about right for the amount of time USAF guys spent in the T-41 before waving goodbye to single engine piston planes for the rest of their Air Force careers.As for him destroying a C-172, I believe it. As a flight instructor, you learned very quickly to watch out for the airline guys wanting a checkout. Most will fly great until they try to flare that little plane 50 feet above the ground.

Guest Yoda_100

>Most likely he was ex-military. Most of those guys have>little or no GA experience. There is no requirement to have a>single engine license before a multiengine license. If he was>in the military, all his time would most likely have been jet.> Though 25 hours sounds about right for the amount of time>USAF guys spent in the T-41 before waving goodbye to single>engine piston planes for the rest of their Air Force careers.>>As for him destroying a C-172, I believe it. As a flight>instructor, you learned very quickly to watch out for the>airline guys wanting a checkout. Most will fly great until>they try to flare that little plane 50 feet above the ground.I just read this. So here is some late info.When I was an instructor for Cessna about 33 years ago, 3 PSA pilots came in and bought a used Piper Comanche 180. All 3 were B727 pilots.They turned 'em over to me for check outs. One was afraid to stall it and insisted I show him how it stalled. And you flare a 727 very high because the main gear is set way back on fuselage. So he started his flare at about 100 ft. I took the plane back and demo'd a landing. He did ok on second try.:D

Guest aca_dia

>What kind of planes was he flying for airlines if he did not>have "single engine land" rating ? Clearly in order to have>multi-engine rating you must first have the single engine one.>In order to run you first have to to walk. What is going on>here ?Even in civil training you don