Sign in to follow this  
Adam Reed

To buy v3 or wait until 3.1

And THIS is what I feared.  IF LM provides a patch, then will this patch affect content anf if it does, then that means that other 3rd party folks who got cuaght up to P3D V3 and didn't set their own installers to inject their content to their own folders, will mean that we may have to do a reinstall of content affected, which again, i fear the ORBX content will need a reinstall.  Can Rob clarify this?

-Jim

Jim, any aircraft that was installed even if in the sim's own ..\Airplanes folder should not be adversely affected, since it is not part of the original files. P3D cannot "remove it" because it doesn't even know it exists to remove...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jim, any aircraft that was installed even if in the sim's own ..\Airplanes folder should not be adversely affected, since it is not part of the original files. P3D cannot "remove it" because it doesn't even know it exists to remove...

Gotcha.  I confused this with reinstalls, sorry.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

As far as ORBX is concerned, I assume one of the core files affected will be terrain.cfg. The ORBX entries are numerous but seem to be confined to a block at the bottom of the file and, one imagines, can be easily lifted from a backup and added to the newly installed terrain.cfg to restore the status quo.

Perhaps it might be interesting to run a file compare between the old a new files (after the ORBX entries have been removed) in case other changes have been made.

The other file will likely be DLL.XML as there is an 'ObjectFlow' entry introduced by ORBX. However that should be easily restored from a backup.

I wonder if it would be possible to carry out a dummy install to allow us to examine which files are being updated/overwritten?

Mike

So much depends on how and where the 3pd product is installed. As Fr. Bill said if it's in the \Airplanes folder, it will remain. Any registry entries will still be valid so P3D should pick it up. The problems would come if that same a/c modified a P3D system file - let's say a gps.gau file. When that file was overwritten by the new install, you would have to take some action to get the a/c working properly.

In reality, it takes more time to explain than to do in a lot of instances.

Even with the version changes, I have had to do very little addon reinstall.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I confused this with reinstalls, sorry.

The information you seek is in the learning center doc.  Topic has been discussed before here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/479178-p3d-31-before-year-end/?p=3333517

Yeah I was a little tetchy ... probably a result of having to answer the same question a 1000 times or so from various locations across the digital world. :)

If you want a specific example of content changes:

1.  LM update some of "their" FX (lets say wave fx files for example)

2.  You have a 3rd party product that has modified those LM wave FX files

3.  You install the Content msi (see link above) and LM replace those FX files

4.  Your 3rd party FX no longer work

But you need to be aware, LM re-organized their directory structures, updated SDK with best practices for 3rd party installs, and provided many .cfg files to allow 3rd party to install in such a way as to NOT be invasive to LM's OWN content/scenery.  Can't really tell LM they can't change what they OWN. ;)  LM also can't control how 3rd party go about with their installations ... they 'trying' to keep it as compatible as possible for 3rd party.

Cheers, Rob.