Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

ORBX Airports without "required" region packs ?

Hi Folks,

Pretty new at this FSX/P3D thing and ORBX (one of the last of the diehard FS9 users)... Anyway - I'm getting my P3Dv3 setup where it needs to be with "the usual suspects" of required addons... One question - I've read about some poor performance even with the newest high end machines with some of the region packs... I have "ORBX Global/UTX2" which seem to play nicely together and frame rates are extremely important to me... While I know many of the airports say a region pack is required - - - is it truly needed ??? Obviously - airport boundaries might not blend perfectly with Global terrain - but - do the deficiencies without the associated region pack render the airport unusable/glaringly ugly ???

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

You can install airports without any need for regions, only the transition between the airport's ground textures and the surrounding ground textures will not be perfect. I've installed FTX airports without the corresponding region plenty of times and I didnt notice any actual problems.

Far as I know, this recommendation of using the region with the airports is pure cosmetic at the transition areas.

Cheers!

Maarten

Some airports buildings may be missing if regions are not installed..please check

I wish they had not made the dependency on regions... but I believe its there.

I prefer phototexure for California but some airports in CA does not work without this region and yes. region sucks FPS

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

It really depends. I recall installing KMRY without NorCal and it was a mess. But I can't remember if I had vector installed or not...

Again it depends we should all chirp in if we have without regions and what airports and any issues... Personally I've got Southampton in the Uk without England and not a single issue then I also got sumburgh in Scotland but had elevation issues

Guest JustanotherPilot

Scott

The  noticeable difference in adding a region, I've found, is the extra detail. A lot of my flights originate in England through Scotland to Norway. I had FTX England installed and there was a big difference in detail when leaving England then entering Scotland and Norway. I then decided to install FTX Scotland and Norway, so now with the three adjoining regions I have  flights  of 2-3 hours injecting  incredible detail, yes, I suffered a minimal frame rate drop but that's compensated by settings adjustment. I've added FTX Global for flights via France ,Germany, the Netherlands to Norway which now add extra detail flying between regions.

In answer to you question, it really depends on how much ground detail you want.