Sign in to follow this  
tjeuten

ASN integration no longer working since new installers

- Flights are saved in FSX Documents.

- WX.PLN file is created by 777 in FSX-SE Documents.

- ASN seeks WX.PLN in FSX Documents, so this is the reason that auto load flight in ASN doesn't work.

- Temporary deleting FSX-SE Documents folder doesn't help -> 777 doesn't want to create WX.PLN in FSX Documents folder, but it also doesn't create new FSX-SE Documents folder where it could be able create WX.PLN.

I hope that is readable ;)

It is all strange because 1 or 2 months ago everything worked well. It looks like installation of caused this issue.

If I could force ASN to read WX.PLN in FSX-SE Documents, I think it will resolve this problem...

Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback. That would explain it. Will have a try at that over the weekend, just out of interest.

Hi, Lukasz and Emile,

Reading through the earlier posts, this appears to now be a known bug that PMDG needs to fix - PMDG 777 writing wx.pln to wrong folder (at least in those cases where there should not be a documents/fsx steam folder, that is, if only Box or only Steam is installed).

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

So, until PMDG fix it, it is need to ASN could read WX.PLN file from FSX-SE Documents...

Question is: how to do this? ;)

So, until PMDG fix it, it is need to ASN could read WX.PLN file from FSX-SE Documents...

Question is: how to do this? ;)

Hi Lukasz,

1) Easiest is to use ASN's Flight Plan>Load function. You can use this function to load WX.pln from the folder the 777 is saving it to.  You would have to do this manually each time you want to load the flight plan or it changes significantly.

2) Mathieu, in Post #35 in this thread, describes doing a Symbolic Link, in which the two folders are connected.  I have never tried this so maybe PM him.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

2nd way will automate data uplink process so I will try it :)

Thanks, Mike.

Regards,

Hi Fareed,

thanks for posting. Yes this were my findings yesterday too, I've got a PMDG ticket open with this issue, and noticed my findings to Ryan from PMDG but he hasn't replied yet, so I wasn't sure I could post the workaround here, but I guess it doesn't harm.

What I did was create a symbolic link from "My Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" to my "My Documents\Flight Simulator Files". I did that by using following command in a command prompt (run as admin) on the My Documents folders:

mklink /D "Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" "D:\Users\msoup\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"

(replace "D:\users\msoup" by your own path to your user profile where your documents are stored)

So now the T7 generates the WX.PLN file in the correct folder, through the symbolic link, and ASN picks it up correctly. No need to redirect ASN.

ps: Symbolic link is NOT the same as a shortcut. Creating it as a shortcut won't work.

Mathieu

Hi Mathieu

I've just noticed I too suffer from this problem and was intrigued by your symbolic link idea. I tried it as you described but it didn't work. It created a symbolic link called "Flight Simulator X Files" in my C root directory and the 777 didn't see it. What I had to do was the following:

1. Delete the folder "Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files"

2  Run the following command (as admin of course):

mklink /D "C:\Users\kevin\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" "C:\Users\kevin\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"

Obviously "C:\Users\kevin" is specific to my system. This command put a symbolic link where the folder was and any software trying to access the Steam Edition folder now uses the standard FSX files folder. Doing this doesn't just fix the 777 it fixes any other addons incorrectly referencing FSX-SE files in single installations. Thanks for this very useful workaround.

I backed up the contents of the old folder first of course, but it worked fine.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Kevin, could you resume?

Did you delete FSX-SE Documents folder or not?

Just made link?

Ps. How to remove this link?

Kevin, could you resume?

Did you delete FSX-SE Documents folder or not?

Just made link?

Ps. How to remove this link?

Yes, I deleted the folder and the command puts the symbolic link in its place. To remove the link you open Explorer in Documents and the link will be visible as a shortcut. Just select it and delete it.

Basically you are replacing the folder "Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" with a link with the same name which points to "Flight Simulator X Files".

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi Mathieu and Kevin,

I have some questions about setting up a symbolic link.  I have a dual install and am not having problems with a PMDG aircraft, but older aircraft for which the installers came out before Steam, like the Level-D, might regain some functions w/ connections from Box folders to Steam folders.

So: 1) is it necessary to delete a folder before putting in a symbolic link ywith the same name?  In other words, can I keep both Documents/ FSX SE Documents and a symbolic link with the same name?

2)  (Out of curiosity) are symbolic links what Windows 7 and later versions (also Vista I think) use to redirect programs designed for the Windows XP file structure, to the corresponding folders in Windows 7 and later (those weird things that look like shortcuts but don't work)?

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Mathieu and Kevin,

I have some questions about setting up a symbolic link. I have a dual install and am not having problems with a PMDG aircraft, but older aircraft for which the installers came out before Steam, like the Level-D, might regain some functions w/ connections from Box folders to Steam folders.

So: 1) is it necessary to delete a folder before putting in a symbolic link ywith the same name? In other words, can I keep both Documents/ FSX SE Documents and a symbolic link with the same name?

2) (Out of curiosity) are symbolic links what Windows 7 and later versions (also Vista I think) use to redirect programs designed for the Windows XP file structure, to the corresponding folders in Windows 7 and later (those weird things that look like shortcuts but don't work)?

Thanks,

Mike

1. As far as I'm aware you can't keep the folder and have the link. mklink will give you an error if you try. If you have a dual install need to switch ASN from box to steam depending which version you are using. Then ASN will work with the right files. It might not do any harm to a dual install to use the same FSX files folder for each version, but DTG presumably added the SE Files folder for a reason.

I find older FSX addons generally work in FSX-SE with no problems, including the LDS 767. Even Concorde X, now it has been updated.

2. Symbolic links can be used for all kinds of things including the example you mention.

ki9cAAb.jpg

As far as I'm aware you can't keep the folder and have the link. mklink will give you an error if you try. If you have a dual install need to switch ASN from box to steam depending which version you are using. Then ASN will work with the right files. It might not do any harm to a dual install to use the same FSX files folder for each version, but DTG presumably added the SE Files folder for a reason.

Hi, Kevin,

Thanks for your answer.  Not having a problem with ASN.  Level D works fine with a little tinkering with DLL.xml, except that it isn't saving flight plans to the correct folder.  I've been wondering why two Documents/FSX folders are needed.  Maybe to prevent people from trying to load a saved flight from one FSX version that doesn't have the correct aircraft in the other version?  I may try replacing the Documents SE folder with a symbolic link and see what happens (after backing it up of course).

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2