Sign in to follow this  
Scupper

Glideslope intercept

I have successfully done manual FMS to ILS approaches in the C90GTx. I have used the FMS to fly an arc to intercept and a full procedure turn and when on the inbound course prior to the FAF switched over to the ILS and flew a coupled approach.

Can you give me an example of an approach/ILS where this works? I'd like to try it. I suspected things may work differently in FSX so I installed it there and did a few flights but TBH I see the same problems in FSX I see in P3D v3. The only difference I've noticed is that the IGN switches can be operated individually in FSX where left & right are tied together in P3D3. I have a problem every time going from FMS to VOR1 and there seems no set sequence of button clicks to make the transition successful, what works on one approach doesn't work on the next, etc. Thanks.

KPNS ILS 17, worked perfectly and I get this every time.  VOR 1 changes to LOC 1 when it detects a localizer frequency is tuned. If you are not seeing this then that may be your issue. 

Here is a video but please ignore the altimeter setting, I had setup a fair day but ASN was running and injected weather. This is just raw video no commentary.  

Remember the intent is to show a manual FMS to ILS working in the sim. This is not a tutorial or step by step. 

EDIT: OK, Jim I finally had one not work. You infected me with your bad ju ju. PAJN ILS 11, worked just fine a few days ago.

What I don't get from watching your video (thanks BTW) is when you dialed in 1700' for CILEB > BRENT your VSI bug didn't move. When I do that mine goes to -500 FPM automatically and then I just use the VS wheel to nose it over to -1000 or whatever I want. I see you hit the VS button, to this date I've never used the VS mode because I really haven't needed to. So I did that approach and did everything the same as you except I used the VS wheel instead of clicking the VS button, then when I clicked APPR it just kept turning itself back off. I briefly clicked the VS button then went straight for the APPR button again, that time it stuck and finished out the ILS beautifully.

It looked like I had all the same announcements at the top of the PFD that I see in your video, APPR FMS AP ALT (your descent to 1700' was prior to you switching to LOC1), so I'm not understanding what altitude mode you had it in where dialing in the lower altitude didn't trigger it to automatically start descending at -500 FPM? I think your success and/or my lack thereof has something to do with clicking that VS button (or some button, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I've also been able to straighten out APPR by clicking the VNAV button). Is that possible?

Is that what happened to you at PAKT? You were unable to activate APPR mode?

I uploaded a video showing the PL21 doing an ILS approach into KJYO RW17. It may take a bit for processing... but this is how it's supposed to work:

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Jim,

Yes I use VS since the other vertical modes don't operate correctly. At PAKT this was the first time when I selected approach it did not arm the GS and stayed at altitude. Nothing I could do would arm GS.

The VS bug should not move when you change altitude. You should be able to preset the next altitude and when you command a vertical mode then the aircraft will respond.

See if you can capture a video or screen shots and post it here. I notified Carenado and gave this this thread as reference. 

Ed,

There are allot of things that look right with your video which leads me to believe this is not Carenado's Pro Line 21. Are you going to offer your version for sale on your site?

Offering that up would only lead to further frustration because it can't be fully integrated. I did some serious manipulation to get it to work as much as it does now. I wish Carenado was more willing to embrace third-party efforts. Heck, they even make repaints a pain in the... LOL

I simply offered that up so people would understand some of the things you mention with regards to how the Carenado code works versus the real deal.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I have used the FMS to fly an arc to intercept and a full procedure turn and when on the inbound course prior to the FAF switched over to the ILS and flew a coupled approach

OK I've seen the procedure turn! The flight was KBOI DNJ MQG KCOE, ILS 06 approach, HILIE transition. I'm impressed. It nailed it, pulled off the procedure turn and no problems transitioning to LOC1. Just when you're about to give up it delivers a flight like this! Started in Boise about 16:00 local time, killer dusk arrival at Coeur d' Alene with ASN doin' it's thing! :smile:

c90_gtx_04.jpg

BTW Ed, is there a chance the PL21 you're showing in the video might be somehow connected to a certain Citation XLS project in the works?

There's always a chance.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

If anyone has a video of the APPR failing to capture GS, Carenado is looking for a video. They have not been able to reproduce this error. 

Thank you.

In my case it's not that APPR won't capture the glideslope, the problem is I can't click the APPR button, it just keeps turning itself off again when I click it after switching from FMS NAV to LOC1. If I briefly click VS twice (to turn VS mode on and back off again) then I can click APPR and it engages as expected, the AP then captures the glideslope just fine.

The only videos I've ever made were FSRecorder renders and I've never put anything up on youtube before. What do I need to do, record it with ShadowPlay? What kind of post-processing is necessary? I tried ShadowPlay once and successfully recorded some video but the file size was immense and I assume you must have to convert it or something to put it up on youtube? Uploading a gig+ video isn't completely prohibitive but my connection is relatively slow going up and I have to do it during the off-peak hrs so I don't use up all my "anytime" bandwidth. Any suggestions to mitigate the huge upload would be much appreciated, thanks.

Jim

Shadowplay makes .mp4 videos... they're pretty compact for the amount of video (size & length).

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Jim,

You don't have to record the entire approach. Just the few minutes before you select APPR and what it takes to select APPR. 

RealPlayer can convert mp4 to wmv which is generally a slightly smaller file for the same size and bitrate and Youtube is capable of converting wmv to its native format. 

Yes it takes some time to upload HD video no matter the codec. 

The irony is that mp4 is faster for processing by YouTube than the Microsoft format... So... while you might gain in upload time... but lose in how long until the video is actually available. LOL

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69