Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

Keep losing view?

Hi, so I'm relatively new to X-Plane, and was playing around today.

I still can't get used to the difference with FSX as to how to set your view in the cabin, it seems a little weird to get what I want or something "real", but I'm sure it's just me, as I have seen screenshots and videos that look great (if anyone has tips/tutorials they will be most welcome).

But what I want to ask is this:

- I'm in the virtual cockpit view. I play around with the zzon, forward, back, etc until I get something I more or less like.

- I switch to an external view

- I go back to the virtual cockpit view, and the view is reset as if I was 10 feet away from the controls!! #####?

Anyone know what I'm doing (or not doing) wrong?

Hi, so I'm relatively new to X-Plane, and was playing around today.I still can't get used to the difference with FSX as to how to set your view in the cabin, it seems a little weird to get what I want or something "real", but I'm sure it's just me, as I have seen screenshots and videos that look great (if anyone has tips/tutorials they will be most welcome).But what I want to ask is this:- I'm in the virtual cockpit view. I play around with the zzon, forward, back, etc until I get something I more or less like.- I switch to an external view- I go back to the virtual cockpit view, and the view is reset as if I was 10 feet away from the controls!! #####?Anyone know what I'm doing (or not doing) wrong?

Carlos, the default view system is on a par with the default of FSX, but having said that, there is a plug in which is the equal of EZDOCK, it is called X-Camera. It is donation ware, but it allows you to create your own views and save them to joystick binding or keyboard, and it interacts with "Head Shake" plug in (free) which adds some really good ground, turbulence and engine effects.

Look them up.

Thanks to both for your replies, but I think I may not have expressed myself correctly...

I'm not talking about setting up different views for different planes, etc.

I'm talking about *one* plane, in a flight, getting the VC view as I like and then switching to a different view (for example outside/spot) and the returning to the cockpit view to fin it is completely different (in this case like is I was siting 10 feet behind the controls..).

This definitely does not happen in FSX, which is why I was wondering if in X-Plane maybe there's an additional step you need to take or something to "save" it or whatever.

You obviously didn't set up Quick Views.

If you have a view that you like press Strg and a number from 0-9 on the numpad. This stores this view. If you wan't to return to this view press the key on the numpad and X-Plane brings you to the stored view.

Every plane has 10 of these hotkey views that are stored with this plane.

• Upvote 1

First, the "custom view" feature doesn't work with 2D panels(*), just 3D panels which most aircraft have.

What I do is go into the Rendering settings and adjust the panel size up or down so most of the panel is visible.  That usually makes it a bit too small to see some numbers (like the baro setting).  Use your mouse wheel to zoom in and adjust your viewing position to suit yourself - the position and zoom level to which you wish to return.  Then lock that in with Ctrl-Numpad.  (I like to use "4" for my normal forward landing view, "5" for a radio closeup, "8" for an outside chase plane view, etc.)  Those settings will be retained individually for each aircraft you set them up for.  You can also move the view around using the arrow keys, and you can assign up/down/right/left to one of your hatswitches.

All this assumes a "regular" keyboard and a joystick or yoke, of course.

(*)  You can move a 2D panel up/down and use "chase" or any outside view using this method but you can't zoom a 2D panel.