Bjoern

Mods for Dave Maltby's BAC 1-11

Modifications to the freeware BAC 1-11 series aircraft by Dave Maltby with the exception of the 1-11-510ED because it uses a different avionics fit.

These modifications improve FSX compatibility, iron out some bugs and enhance some features.

The aircraft and panel package(s) for the 1-11 have to be installed in order to use this!

Features
  • Added switch, button, knob, etc... sounds
  • Changed entire APU system to use FSX' default APU
  • Changed engine fire extingusher logic
  • Modifed engine start logic
  • Recoded bleed air pressure system
  • Added keyboard controls for spoilers
  • Changed "Mixture lever increase" clickspot behaviour
  • Modified airspeed indicator bugs
  • Added autothrottle switch
  • Better tooltips for some instruments
  • Imagetool and a suitable batch file for texture conversion into FSX' .dds format are included

Download

The latest revision of the file can always be downloaded from here. Read the Readme!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thank you for this! Always really liked Maltby's 1-11, but haven't flown is since I migrated to FSX-SE. Looking forward to trying it again.

Cheers,

Scott

Save for the usual portover issues (lower FPS, untextured areas are black), the 1-11 works really well for me in FSXSE (after the upgrade).

I've turned this into a more comprehensive upgrade. With Dave's permission, all 1-11 models were converted into FSX native format which means less of a performance hit and self-shadowing. The whole range of models from the 200 to the 510ED with hush kits is included. I've also updated the panel for the 510ED and reorganized the structure of shared files to minimize duplication.

The old download link is not valid anymore.

The most current version of the upgrade can always be obtained from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K_xiE2GqmMRzZ3UEFCemw5aDg/view?usp=sharing

More information on my website:

https://sites.google.com/site/fsxstuffbybk/aircraft-modifications/bac-1-11

A new revision is up, fixing the missing lightmaps and small visual anomalies on the 475, 510 and 510ED models.

The download link remains the same. Make sure to install the converted lightmaps when upgrading.

Next revision: Fixed the shading on the pedestal and some other minor bits and enabled night textures in the wings of the VC models and specular functionality in the 500 series VCs.

See post #4 for the download link.

Upgrade by replacing all "[model]_Int.mdl" files.

Wow!  Thank you for putting all this work into making this old girl even better!   This plane is one of my favorites, better than a lot of payware.  Even better now.!

Some nice changes, well done. I might have revisit this noise maker in the near future.

Thanks, guys!

I honestly haven't had time to fly it yet as I got sidetracked with the t-tailed equivalent from the other side of the pond.

I am having a bit of an issue, which may have nothing to do with your changes.  But for some reason my left fuel tank is depleting much faster than the other two.   I started with 30 percent in each tank for a short flight from EGPF to EGCC.   After taking off and climbing for a couple of minutes, I have 25.9% in left tank, and 29.6% in the other two.  APU is off.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Just tried it again, same thing.   After 5 or 6 minutes, left is all the way down to 21%, while the other two are over 27%.  Tried in both a -400 and a -500 version.

Just tried it again, this time with 40% in each side tank, nothing in the center.   Only the left tank is being depleted.  

I re-installed the unmodified version, and the fuel is working normally.  But I can only get the engines going using CTRL-E, which seems to be disabled in the modified version-- might this be a clue?

I think I removed CTRL+E support for a more realistic engine start. Remember that you always need bleed air from the APU (or a GPU) to start a jet engine.

The fuel system was left untouched by me. Looking at the code, tank selection seems to be driven by the fuel pumps, so make sure that they're switched on.

- Edit:

Just checked the fuel system in FSX. It draws normally from all tanks for me.

I wonder if (and why) I am the only person this is happening to.   Fuel pump switches are all on.   No problem starting the engines with your mods.   It is the unmodified version that won't start.  The APU is on and has air enabled, but the APU generator won't come on.   All this works like it should in your version.  But it has the fuel issue.  

The unmodified version used FS9 starter code which is different from FSX starter code.

Check that your default flight situation has the fuel tank selector set to "all".

The unmodified version used FS9 starter code which is different from FSX starter code.

Check that your default flight situation has the fuel tank selector set to "all".

Bjoern, thanks so much!   That was it--the parameter was set to "left".   I changed it to "all" and that fixed the issue.  People like you who help FSX users and make improvements are what make this such a great hobby!   I had no idea there was such a setting in the default flight, let alone how the heck it could have gotten set to "left".

Back to my regularly scheduled flight....

You can define any flight as the default flight. Any aircraft loaded from the default flight will inherit the default's system and avionics status, unless the plane has some custom gauge logic to configure it prior to usage.

In the meantime, I've rewritten the fuel system logic since I only could get it to draw from all tanks. Dave's approach was a bit extensive for the task and I've achieved what he intended to do with less code. Now it will be possible to have each engine independently draw from its wing or center tank. Still need to implement crossfeed though.

Before I roll this update out, however, I'm also going to revamp the load/save system a bit.

Any chance you'll ever do something similar with Dave's Trident?  That is my favorite of his planes.

I've rolled out another update.

Highlights:

- Recoded fuel system

- Autosave for all custom variables

- Fixed specularity in 500 and 510ED series cockpits

- Much more realistic spool curves for the engine

- APU and avionics fan sounds

Download, as usual here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K_xiE2GqmMRzZ3UEFCemw5aDg/view?usp=sharing

Save for all aircraft.cfg files and the sound.cfg from the new folder, I think you can safely overwrite any old files during installation.

Or edit your old aircraft.cfgs. Changed lines (with their new values) are: "fuel_flow_gain= 1.0" and "number_of_tank_selectors=2".

- Edit:

I've assembled Dave's paintkit as distributed by him and organized it as actually used by the model files. The files are shipped with today's upgrade package in xcf (Gimp) and psd (Photoshop) format. With a bit of careful image filter application, I think it might even be possible to simply double the resolution of each texture and thus paint higher quality liveries.

Any chance you'll ever do something similar with Dave's Trident?  That is my favorite of his planes.

The Trident is way outside of my area of interest for at least 500000 reasons.

Small public service announcement: If you do not wish to store any shared textures for the 1-11 in FSX\Texture, create a texture.cfg with the following content and add it to every repaint:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\DMFS Shared Files\Texture

The create a "Texture" folder in "DMFS Shared Files" and copy the following textures into it:
111ENG_L.dds
111EXTRA_L.dds
111FUSE_1_L.dds
111FUSE_2_L.dds
111FUSE_3_L.dds
111FUSE_4_L.dds
111Tail_L_L.dds
111Tail_R_L.dds
111WING_BL_L.dds
111WING_BR_L.dds
111WING_TL_L.dds
111WING_TR_L.dds
DM111VCPANEL1_L.dds
DM111VCPANEL2_L.dds
DM111VCPANEL3_L.dds
DM111VCPANELC_L.dds
DM111VCPANELO_L.dds
DM510VCPANEL1_L.dds
DM510VCPANEL2_L.dds
DM510VCPANEL3_L.dds
DM510VCPANELC_L.dds
DM510VCPANELO_L.dds
DM_1-11_VC_1.dds
DM_1-11_VC_1_L.dds
DM_1-11_VC_2.dds
DM_1-11_VC_B1.dds
DM_1-11_VC_B4.dds
DM_1-11_VC_FLOOR.dds
DM_1-11_VC_S1.dds
DM_1-11_VC_S2.dds
DM_1-11_VC_SEAT.dds

Note: The light maps for the exterior models are only present for contingency reasons because I've encountered some paints that did not contain any.

Any chance you'll ever do something similar with Dave's Trident? That is my favorite of his planes.

I've got a couple of mods for the Trident - also my favourite plane for a long time, though I haven't touched it in quite a while.

- "moving map" using the FSX GPS

- updated fuel system with correct tank-to-engine operation and including fin tank for trident 2

- partially working independent autothrottle system (The Trident used to descend with the AT only on the outer engines and the centre engine kept at a fixed RPM setting.  However the model overspeeds at the historically accurate settings and I'm not going to delve into the FDE).

Let me know if you're interested in trying them out.

I switched my FSX to a new computer and installed the BAC 111 and these fine mods into a new FSX Steam standalone install.   It seems like I'm not getting the new fx_smoke_f6 effect.  It is installed in the "effects" folder, and the [smokesystem] section is in the aircraft file like it should be, referencing the fx_smoke_f6 files, but no joy.

Can anyone confirm if they are getting smoke in FSX Steam from the BAC111 modded?

Running DX10 per chance?

(Not sure if the effects is compatible.)

Barring any PEBCAK errors, the effect should work just fine on FSXSE in DX9.

Running DX10 per chance?

(Not sure if the effects is compatible.)

Barring any PEBCAK errors, the effect should work just fine on FSXSE in DX9.

No, running DX9.   Not sure what a PEBCAK error is.   But yes, I was surprised when the effect didn't work.   This is pretty much a brand new install.

Haha, just googled PEBCAK error.  Nice. :fool: