Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

LNAV mode with FS9 flight plan?

Somewhere in one of the pdf files, I am sure I read that you can set the autopilot (I have the SP177 version + Civa) to follow an FS9 flight plan, rather than have to programme the INS system with all those waypoints. How do you do that? (Sorry if this is a naive question - I haven't used the Civa INS for many years and have apparently forgotten many aspects of how it works, or doesn't!).

Currently, I cannot get LNAV (in GPS mode) in the SP177 to work; the green light is on, but the a/c does not track the flight plan. I assumed that that was because I had not set any waypoints into the INS system - to be honest, for long journeys with many waypoints, I'd rather omit that 'chore': I already have so many addons to set up that programming waypoints into the INS could be the straw that breaks the camel's back: I never get off the ground!

I know that operating the INS is all part of the 'fun', but for days when I just want to fly, how do I get this aircraft to follow the loaded FS9 flight plan? If the INS is set up properly with the initial position, the green 'Ready' light has come on, and the Mode Selector duly turned to NAV, (no problems that far at least!), should the a/c then follow the FS9 flight plan, even with no waypoints added to the INS? Or not??

*** I did, by the way, find an 'INS' converter tool ("10200_civaconverter.zip") , which converts flight plans to a format that an INS can read (apparently) - they are saved in a .AWC file format. Can that format be imported into the TN INS?? No instructions with the tool to say how, if so.

Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Read the civa ins manual , it explains how to use the .awc file to load the waypoints into the ins.

I use "Conv2ADEU" utility to convert FS9 plans to .awc files. It is useful for longer flights where you may need 2 or more .awc files. You can set up the first with 9 waypoints and subsequent ones with 8 (9 is blank). This means when you are flying from 8 to 9 using the first file, you change the setting so you are flying from 0 (present position) to 9. Then you can load the next ADEU file and waypoints 1-8 will be changed, but not 9 (because that is your active waypoint.

When flying 7-8 on the second file, you duplicate the coordinates for 8 into the empty 9, then tell the ins to fly from 0-9. ou can then load up file number 3.

I don't use the GPS.

IIRC if you do not have CIVA installed the LNAV switch defaults to the standard NAV/GPS function.  So temporarily renaming the CIVA folder (easier than editing the panel config) will let the Tinmouse follow the MSFS GPS.   Been quite a time though so I may be wrong.  Oh and you won't be able to play with the INS during the flight either :)

Long time ago I wrote a small gauge that displays your FS flightplan with lat/lon coordinates to make data entry into CIVA easier; it also lists nearby VOR's for the same purpose.  If you're interested I'll try and dig it up.

Thanks for the replies. I had some 'inspiration' at 3.00am last night - realised first that if I don't have the Civa panel installed, then (as you say) the NAV/GPS will probably work fine. The 'inspiration' (haha) was that I can easily set this up to have three different panels for each livery, the SP177 + Civa, the SP177 no Civa and the previous version I was flying, without the SP177 at all (I enjoy controlling the VNAV with the joystick sometimes: makes nice change from the fly-by-wires I am more used to flying).

I will have another look at the Civa manual - I didn't notice the bit about .awc files. I haven't explored how to use the little tool I downloaded yet, but can have a look at the "Conv2ADEU" utility too, if I am not happy with the way that the "10200..." programme works.

Probably OK without the gauge, thanks, I have other tools which give my exact co-ordinates.

Thanks again.

OK, every day I make progess! I now have, through lots of copying and juggling of cfg files & gauges, four configurations of the 737-200: SP77 no Civa; SP77 with Civa; SP177 no Civa; SP177 with Civa

I can choose which version of the panel I want for each livery at the FS9 'Choose a Flight' menu.

I also installed the ADEU gauge just now and in conjunction with the converter I can load up FS9 flight plans into the INS OK (it actually works!).

At some stage in the not too distant future, I might even get to fly somewhere with one of these aircraft! No idea if it's all going to work, LNAV and all - we'll see... No problems with the X52 and flaps, so far, either, so it's all good...

I'd forgotten what fun this plane is: glad I came back to it.

:smile:

BTW. I had to amend the panel.cfg entries suggested by 'cowpatz' (!) to fit the ADEU into the widescreen panels I use. The original post is here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/223682-civa-151-ins-panel-config/?hl=adeu

and my entries are like this:

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Window07]
file=radio_upper_xp2.bmp
size_mm=975,565
window_size_ratio=1.000
Window_Pos=0.5200,0.5366
Window_Size=0.4790,0.4634
//position=2
visible=0
ident=12

gauge00=B732ADV!pdcs_cdu, 701,5,248,219
gauge01=ILH_TCAS!Transponder, 674,227,301,136,pic:no
gauge02=B732ADV!alt_alert_cont, 421,38,157,65
gauge03=B732ADV!memory, 700,506,253,54
gauge04=B732ADV!fo_gyro, 718,377,213,54
gauge05=../civa/ins!cdu1, 2,0,315,243
gauge07=../civa/INS!Adeu1, 320,464,350,100
gauge07=RealityXP_WX500!RDR, 319,111,354,266
gauge08=B732ADV!gyro_capt, 0,389,320,176

//--------------------------------------------------------//and for panels without TCAS installed//

[Window07]
file=radio_upper_xp2.bmp
size_mm=975,565
window_size_ratio=1.000
Window_Pos=0.5200,0.5366
Window_Size=0.4790,0.4634
//position=2
visible=0
ident=12

gauge00=B732ADV!pdcs_cdu, 701,5,248,219
gauge01=B732ADV!alt_alert_cont, 421,38,157,65
gauge02=B732ADV!memory, 700,506,253,54
gauge03=B732ADV!fo_gyro, 718,377,213,54
gauge04=../civa/ins!cdu1, 2,0,315,243
gauge05=../civa/INS!Adeu1, 320,464,350,100
gauge06=RealityXP_WX500!RDR, 319,111,354,266
gauge07=B732ADV!gyro_capt, 0,389,320,176

If you like to ring the changes with old-fashioned aircraft autopilots and the like I can suggest two other gems, both freeware.

The VC10 , original by David Maltby and updated by Volobarrista (Nicholas). The files are in the library here, a lot of updates to download and install but well worth it. A new update to appear soon too.

The SGA Airbus A300 which uses a push/pull elevator control to set the A/P pitch as well as IAS and V/S modes. Also here in the library.

Thanks - I already have the Airbus, but not the VC10 (I'll check it out). I do have David Maltby's BAC 1-11 though, which is also great to fly.