Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

8 Core CPU Performance Data (FPS Delta) - Prepar3D v3.1

Interesting thread, but a little hard for me to follow as I'm not too technically-minded! In an earlier and similar discussion a user suggested running my i7-3770K with an AM of 116 and on core 2,4,5 and 6 (HT is on). However I experienced blurries with this AM. Changing AM to 85 seems to have helped to fix the blurries but now I have no idea which cores I should be locking the sim to in Process Lasso (or do I just ditch this now).

Many thanks,

Dominic

85 means (01010101). So you technically don't have a core free. But if you were to use lasso for addons then you should pick core 2 since the sim puts the least load on it. Or just LP 3.

Thanks, useful to know. I run most addons on a networked computer. So I don't think anything other than P3D is really taxing the CPU. I'll shelve using Process Lasso for now. Thanks again.

now I have no idea which cores I should be locking the sim to in Process Lasso

116 wouldn't be the cause of blurries if 85 doesn't do it, that would have been down to something else in the way the system is set or addons launched. 116 is for leaving a core free because we're running a high activity addon or two.

Once you've set off P3D with it's affinity specified in the cfg, don't lasso it. I don't have reservations about lasso, but it's not going help the sim to "lock it to cores" once it's running.

Use lasso to restrict where addons go by all means, so long as they don't have their own affinity control, if they do, use that. Remember that some programs spread out across the CPU (like P3D and FSX) and to lasso them could prevent them working as intended.

I'm asked all the time where to put addons with 116 (on the four core HT enabled of course).

01,11,01,00=116

10,00,00,11=0,1,7

Keeping off of core 1 (main sim thread on LP2 leave LP3 free) is the main thing to do. Put addons on 0,7 or 1,7, or 0,1 (since it's a good idea to provide at least two LPs per app, especially if it's calling on system resources like networking (simconnect).

with 85 we don't have a free core, but in the same way we can allocate LPs not including those from core zero this time.

01,01,01,01=85

10,10,10,00=3,5,7

put addons on 3,7 or 5,7 or 3,5

In both cases we can open up the LPs to addons if we want them to take more throughput of the CPU

11,11,11,00 in the case of 85

and

11,11,00,11 in the case of 116.

116 is really all about the bit pattern 011101, and works the same as 101110, or even 011110 and 101101. Each has four LPs allocated but each groups the middle two onto a core. The actual real core throughput available to the 116 configuration is around 0 - 7% less than with the four pure cores 85 configuration. That's why I say 116 would not be responsible for the blurries, that's some other problem.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Interesting, thanks. I don't recall changing anything else other than the AM. Perhaps it's just luck that I haven't yet seen the blurries again. But it sounds like I should be using AM=85 as there's no point reserving processing power for anything else - the only other thing I'm running is TrackIR. Perhaps I'll see try using Process Lasso to lock TrackIR to cores 3 and 5.

Thanks for your very thorough answer. I'm not sure I quite understand what bit patterns are though!

Thanks for your very thorough answer. I'm not sure I quite understand what bit patterns are though!

You're welcome!

Bit patterns are easy with the Windows calculator, have a go at this: Change to Programmer mode, with the calculator in decimal mode type in 116, then change to Binary. With the latest Win 10 calculator it already shows conversions in binary. Look at the binary value, it's made of zero's and one's. The rightmost "bit" is the first LP, LP0 (core zero), the leftmost represents LP7 (core 3). One's represent "ON" LPs.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Now I understand, and learned a useful function on the calculator! Thanks again.

What am should i use for a 6950x?

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT