Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

textures advice

Hi

I'am about to try to do my first airport update.

This is the first time Ihave tried this and although I'm not overly daunted,I'm starting with almost no textures for 3d buildings.

I would like to try and redo EDHI Finkenwerder in Germany although I have no time scale as it's as much a learning proccess as anything else.

The problem I have is getting some photo textures of the hangers there,so I can wrap them round the buildings as I create them.

I have managed to find several with the hangers in the background but they are all at an angle,as they have the aircraft square on.

Is there anywhere online that might have these textures or photos with the hangers/buildings that I could use,or how to straighten the photos I have so that the buildings are square on.

I plan on using photoshop and 3dsmax and also Ade and SbuilderX.

Any help or advice for a newbie on no time scale would be appreciated

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Pete,

I've been modeling and painting for years... If you are looking for textures for models - unless you go to the airport and take pictures yourself - you'll never find all the pictures you need - so you have to be a bit creative... There are tons of free textures available - so I would start there... If you need wood siding for a building - search for "wood siding textures" - then build on that with - door - window - and roofing textures... Obviously - it's more work - then you have to highlight and shadow everything to give it a bit of pop... 

To address your angled photos - most painting packages have a tool to straighten the image so it appears head on - meaning the edges are vertical and horizontal... Then you just crop what you need... I use PSP/GIMP so I am unfamiliar with how PS does it...

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Scott

Was going to start another topic but I think it fits in here. I have relied on custom textures for making scenery but  got sick of it always looking  too candy shoppy. So Ive been taking photos and have made a texture file at 512x512 for a range of sheet metal textures having a bit of an aged look to it. Going to texture some generic hangars I've modelled.. 

My question is - will FSX run more efficiently if I made a few files at say 128x128 each specific to one type of hangar rather than put all the textures in one larger file (512x512) containing texture for about 4 different kinds of hangars, some of which may not be needed at the airport being visited.. or to put another way, if all four hangar textures are needed at the airport, does the entire 512x512 file get opened and read 100% x4 by FSX or just 25% x4.

I ask this as I am ignorant on how FSX manipulates/utilises texture files .. i.e. whether it has to open and read an entire texture file to enable texturising to take place or if it just takes the portions from each texture file as needed.

As the great majority of default textures are quite small files I suspect the answer is the former, not the latter, but I seek confirmation.

Hi Rob,

In my time modeling - I've found two things increase the efficiency of models... The use of LOD's and minimizing Draw Calls... As a painter you don't have any control over LOD's but larger textures when there are less of them - I believe is preferable - to a whole bunch of smaller ones... The texture get's loaded to the video card a single time instead of loading many smaller textures... I believe this has changed over the years as video cards became more capable and could easily handle larger textures... Take it with a grain of salt but that's how I understand it...

Regards,
Scott

Scott.. thanks for that link.. looks like I have a fair bit of brain cell manipulating  to get my head around it all.