Sign in to follow this  
MED1473

736 steep approach technique

Hi all, I'm struggling at the minute on the correct technique/profile do adopt in the case of a steep final approach (I'm specifically trying to land the 736 on the IGS approach to rwy27 at LIMW, but this question is relevant to all steep approaches really). Is somebody able to point me towards the correct technique/profile to adopt to control the energy state of the aircraft e.g. when to extend the gear, deploy speedbrakes, flap settings and when, early configuration and speed reduction Vs "dumping everything out at the last minute". I reckon it essentially boils down to the question is "it easier to reduce speed in a clean or dirty config"?

Thank you! Matteo

the B736 was never certified for steep approaches ( in contrast for example to the A318). So you won't find any official procedure for that. Of course you are free to try it. Technique is as usual. going down and slowing down at the same time in a 737 is never a good idea. especially for a non-precision approach you should be fully configured and at vapp at the IAF/FAF.

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Ha thanks for your reply. It's a fancy of mine landing at that a/p! No claim to be realistic. I'll try it following your recommendation, which I should have done the first time, and let you know-how it goes

Cheers Matteo

I reckon it essentially boils down to the question is "it easier to reduce speed in a clean or dirty config

It's much easier to reduce the speed in a dirty configuration. With gear and flaps down, the aircraft generates a lot more drag than in clean configuration, hence it will decelerate faster for the same thrust output.

As pointed out above, be in level flight for a few miles prior to the FAF so that you have enough time to slow down and configure. Be fully configured, with speedbrakes stowed and engines NOT at idle before reaching the FAF. Once you reach the FAF, bring the throttles back so the aircraft descends at say, 1000 fpm or the desired computed V/S for the approach angle and then during the glide adjust the vertical speed as required (adjustments larger than +/- 100 fpm should not be needed)

In real life I can imagine the pilot flying in "ALT" mode and some 0.3nm before the FAF open the V/S window and aggresively bring the wheel down to the desired V/S. At the same time, even though the A/T might be enganged and in Vapp SPD, the pilot will manually bring the throttles back a little so the aircraft doesn't accelerate in the transition to the glidepath, then release so that the A/T automatically adjusts the thrust for Vapp.

The rest will be like a usual approach. You'll have to flare a little sooner than if you were flying the standard 3º path.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Most jet aircraft certified to fly steep approaches (E-Jets, A318) will still need some sort of speedbrake deployment during final approach until touchdown. They're of course specifically equipped for this operation, so it all happens automatically (will usually be one or two spoilers that come up). Therefore, you may need to lift the speed brake handle yourself rather than leaving it in the armed position in order to keep your approach speed. Certainly not something that is safe or recommended, but in the simulator surely worth a shot. Let us know how it went! :smile: