Sign in to follow this  
ALF1

Current SOPs

Delivery flight of a brand-new 737 900 ER for Alaska. I am not sure if the pilots are Boeing or Alaska's, but it seems that system A hydraulic pumps are still being left off for pushback and start up. Another thing that I see is that the engine bleeds are on prior to engine startup. Can anyone confirm this ?

I can't speak for Alaska's procedures but I can tell you that the only time we turn off the engine bleed switches is when we are doing a bleeds off takeoff or we are being deiced.  They are normally on for start.

• Upvote 1

Engine bleeds stay on for start.

All hydraulic pumps stay on during pushback.

Edit: watched the video. Those are Alaska pilots, but there are several differences from current procedures. The video is two years old, slightly before my time, so I don't know if leaving the hydraulic pumps set that way was normal then or if they have a reason for it in this case. Maybe one of the senior guys can chime in on that. These days though, the hydraulic pumps are all on for push.

Andrew Crowley

some airlines have different start procedures many American airlines do not turn on hydraulics until after pushback is complete or during pushback. It's all carrier dependent. And yes bleeds stay on.  I really dislike flying Alaska in the sim, even though they have great looking airplanes and some nice routes, because of the panel options, no callouts at all! Hard to fly single pilot. - David Lee

No callouts in the real world either, despite the 2 pilot environment ;-). Once you've seen the sight picture a few times, there's no need. I've flown planes in the past that had them and personally I don't like them, they're just distracting. (Not talking about a "minimums" call of course, just the countdown to impact.)

Andrew Crowley

No callouts in the real world either, despite the 2 pilot environment ;-). Once you've seen the sight picture a few times, there's no need. I've flown planes in the past that had them and personally I don't like them, they're just distracting. (Not talking about a "minimums" call of course, just the countdown to impact.)

I like the countdown to impact personally. Helps me flare and useful if things go wrong.

They don't even have the minimums callout I don't get it. Is it really distracting? I see it all as helpful - David Lee

I like the countdown to impact personally. Helps me flare and useful if things go wrong.

They don't even have the minimums callout I don't get it. Is it really distracting? I see it all as helpful - David Lee

Yes, the "minimums" call still happens, and there's "500 feet" and "approaching minimums" calls as well. I just meant the "50,40,30,20,10" calls. Distracting? Certainly not in an incapacitating way or anything, it's just personal preference. I could see them being more helpful in a 747 or something where you're farther off the ground in the cockpit, but the 737 really isn't that high. Just like every other option on a plane, some will like it and some won't I guess...

Andrew Crowley

Yes, the "minimums" call still happens, and there's "500 feet" and "approaching minimums" calls as well. I just meant the "50,40,30,20,10" calls. Distracting? Certainly not in an incapacitating way or anything, it's just personal preference. I could see them being more helpful in a 747 or something where you're farther off the ground in the cockpit, but the 737 really isn't that high. Just like every other option on a plane, some will like it and some won't I guess...

I must have an incorrect ini file for Alaska then. I had them all set to none including minimums. Thanks for the info - David Lee

I agree with Andrew, I dont need no friggin callouts, not those anyway. Sufficient with the ones mentioned. Besides, in RNP approaches with glidepath angle .....if the airplane is stable after minimums the maneuver should be visual. Now on a CAT 1 to 50 ft......different story maybe.

Different airline, (very) different SOPs.

In the case of Hydraulic Pumps:

Scandinavian Airlines: All on during pushback

Southwest Airlines: As off, Bs on during pushback, Electric Hyd Pumps Off during turnaround

Many other carriers: Electric Hyd Pumps Off after engine shutdown and during pushback. Ryanair leaves all on during turnaround.