Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

Toolkit Converter arguments

Hi,

Background:

I've had no problem using the Converter.  My FSX is here:"G:\FS\FSX".  I created a temporary folder here: "G:\FS\TempContent"

I next opened a CMD window in the Flight Tool kit folder and executed this:

ContentConverter.exe fsx /i:"G:\FS\FSX" /o:"G:\FS\TempContent"

Now I'm guessing here, but suspect that the "/i" argument indicates that the converted output is to be installed and the "/o" points to where the Converter output will initially go.

In a post at FS Developer I read "Optionally you can also add the "/a" argument to the command line to have the conversion generate a .flightAddon file instead of placing files in your DLC folder."

Now a bit more guesswork.  The "/a" would replace the "/i" to signal that the output is not to be installed but saved as an Addon.

Can anyone set me straight on this?

Jim F.

The first parameter "fsx" is the conversion mode, /i is input, /o is output.  Run ContentConverter with no parameters and it will describe all the parameters and modes.  The /a is an extra switch.  It generates a .flightAddon in the output folder.  The various switches can be different things in different modes.  For example sometimes it is a file, and sometimes a directory.

After reviewing the Help I see that the "/a" is not referenced.  Here's the FSX mode help:

fsx [/saveAddon] [/c:(path to conversion options xml)] /i:(path to FSX install directory) /o:(path to directory to output Flight files) 

It appears that I should just replace the "/o" with the "/a"  so that the new addon file will be saved in the temporary content folder.  Is this correct?

If I hadn't read the reference to the "/a" I would have suspected that the "/saveAddon" option would have come into play.

you are not correct, just add '/a' to the end of the command - the temp output folder is still needed

so your command would look like:

Contentconverter.exe fsx /i:"G\FS\FSX" /o:"G;\FS\TempContent" /a

then you will end up with a "G:\FS\TempContent\FSXWorld.flightaddon" file which has to be manually added using the Addon Manager in addition to the temp files normally created.

/a is the same as /saveAddon.  Just a shorter version.  I'll add some extra documentation to make that clear.

The "/a" worked fine.  I wanted to check it out so uninstalled my previous version.  As I had added some ORBX scenery I set everything back to default.  When I first ran the tool the operation failed shortly after starting.  It turned out that ORBX FTX Central didn't turn everything back to default.  There was a Traffic .bgl for one of my ORBX airports (KMRY).  The Converter told me the exact problem.  I moved out the offending file and the Converter ran without any complaints.  The conversion took about half the time that it did previously but then the installation took quite awhile so the time was pretty much a wash as to the complete installation.

I tried Flight in several different areas and was very impressed.  I took a job in the Washington state area with mixed weather and everything looked superior as to how it would have looked in FSX.  I started a flight on the east coast of the US and that area looked great also.  Stead in Nevada had bushes on the runway similar to Edwards so I don't know what's up with that.  Now that I think about it Stead and Edwards may both have been updated by Acceleration.  Hmm...

I do have a problem flying anywhere near KMRY but as I have an ORBX update for that airport it seem likely that that's where the problem lies.  I also have ORBX KRDD but no problems converting the default scenery in that area.