Sign in to follow this  
Sartanius

Looking for Best Airport Hotels for Aircraft Spotting in SE USA

I need to bump up my frequent flyer miles balance so I can have enough for two tickets later this fall.  Thinking of taking a short, inexpensive round-trip flight to an airport in the SE or South Central USA where there's an onsite hotel affording excellent aircraft spotting access.  I will need to take this short trip in April so the few extra miles I need can be credited to my account in time to secure frequent flyer tickets for my wife and I to the west coast in the mid-fall time frame.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

If you fly to KDFW there is a Hyatt Regency right in the middle of the airport. The hotel windows face east and west, so if you stay on the west side and are staying half way up or higher you'll have a view of 18L, 18R, 36L and 36R. Or if you east side you'll have a view of 35L, 35C, 35R, 17R, 17C, and 17L. Plus DFW has founders plaza on the northwest side of the airport that is a viewing area and it has speakers all over the place tuned into ATC so you can listen. Plus it's near the UPS ramp if you want to watch that.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the excellent suggestion, @cmpbellsjc.  I'll check that out.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Sheraton at KATL is great too. Right in the middle of the approach to two runways if I recall correctly.

Marriot at KIAH is also in a great spot at the centre of the airport. Always had good views from that one.

Hyatt at KMCO is good location as well.

I didn't mention this, but I live in the Atlanta area, so will be flying out of KATL.  I'll check into the KIAH suggestion, though.  Thanks, Glenn.

Doug Miannay

I didn't mention this, but I live in the Atlanta area, so will be flying out of KATL.  I'll check into the KIAH suggestion, though.  Thanks, Glenn.

Ah, yes makes sense.

If you would like a longer trip, my personal favourite and a regular haunt of mine is the Sheraton at Toronto Pearson. Cracking views of the entire apron and runways. Had many great stays there with a radio scanner, binoculars and camera!

Ok, done deal.  Trip booked to DFW with a stay at the airport Hyatt.  Thanks for the responses.

Doug Miannay