Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Thought to share my final 'burnt in' P3D v3.2.3 CFG file...

Did a quick test. Deleted cfg, went into sim and maxed out all the settings. Let it run for a while then exited the sim and checked the new cfg file. LOD was still at 6.5. So it must definitely be a manual change or some addon that it is changing it to a higher value.

Unless you're saying adding a manual tweak such as FFTF changes the LOD value, which is unlikely.

Not sure, Boom...I just know that I didn't change the LOD. I always use 6.5, but having it read 7.5 sure didn't compromise anything...but who knows...?!?!?!?

I'm going to try Steve's AM 116 for a week and see how it does around my favorite haunts.  I can always go back to what I published here...which worked like a top.  That is my back-up plan, (smile)....and oh...I just came in from cutting the front and back lawn...it took care of two immediate problems...1. The 'wife' look, and 2.  The 'wife' look.

Grass is cut, lawn(s) are trimmed, grass clippings are bagged,  and no more, that bone-piercing ; The Wife Look.   Free to go and try out the AM=116   :hi:

Steve, after many, many flights...my .cfg unaltered in this thread, gives me the best performance,  stutter free and high FPS.

So, I'm back to my published .cfg and all is well. 

Cheers,

Mitch

I can't see any problem with the AM, you would need software to reliably detect any differences in overall performance, but FFTF=0.1 seems suspiciously like too great a LOD.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I can't see any problem with the AM, you would need software to reliably detect any differences in overall performance, but FFTF=0.1 seems suspiciously like too great a LOD.

Hi Steve,

I had FFTF at .33...30...and was running AM=116.

I then went to 244 and ran the FFTF the same as above.

Had stutter and pause, Steve. So, yes..I don't think there is much of a difference between 244 and 116.  I think the smoothness is coming from reducint the FFTF to .10

I then reset just for a comparison, back to my original 244 and FFTF of .10...and smoothness and high FPS resulted once more.   I think, time and time again, we all see here on AVSIM that there probably is no universal setting matrix...each user has to fine tune for his unique system specs...and mine for whatever reason seem to really digest 244/FFTF 0.10 very well.

Thanks for your input and insight. I am sure that others are reading and experimenting from these posts, but in the 'bush'....quietly...(large smile).

Cheers,

Mitch

I'm interested because I've been unable to improve with five jobs from four even on 5 cores of a six core. You're not lassoing the sim by any chance?

What's happening is the sim splits into a number of jobs corresponding to the number of bits unmasked, or LPs enabled. In all configurations job 1 is the main UI and renderer and will max out a 4GHz core. In the four LP configuration, job 2 is the least used with jobs 3 and 4 capable of maxing out a 4GHz core. AM=116 places job 2 on a core with job 3, because not only does job 2 not stress the core as much as the other jobs, but it's more or less idle when job 3 is maxing out, job 4 has a core to itself. In the five job configuration, jobs 2 and 3 are the least used, so placing jobs 4 and 5 on the same core as with 244 is counter productive. There are other reasons why five jobs don't do so well even when the configuration uses five cores, one LP per core.

With my version of the .cfg file..I can actually go to 11 FPS and still experience no stutter...and that was with a sky full of thick cloud scud, lightning and thunder.

Mitch never heard this testimony before over all the years of surfing Fsx and P3D sites. 11 Fps I need to see a video.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

The sim works in mysterious ways, where high fps can utilise less background processing and cause a lot of confusion. When raising FFTF from 0.1 makes a big difference with a drop in fps and increase in choppiness, that's likely because the background processes are not actually getting a chance to run up to their spec. Shifting the balance to the background slightly is enough to overload the sim main thread.

Mitch never heard this testimony before over all the years of surfing Fsx and P3D sites. 11 Fps I need to see a video.

That's one thing I don't do...lol...videos...you'll just have to take it with a grain of salt, I guess!  :hi:

Try my settings and the driver suite I mention...see what you call take it down to...:)

The sim works in mysterious ways, where high fps can utilise less background processing and cause a lot of confusion. When raising FFTF from 0.1 makes a big difference with a drop in fps and increase in choppiness, that's likely because the background processes are not actually getting a chance to run up to their spec. Shifting the balance to the background slightly is enough to overload the sim main thread.

Hi Steve, 

Well...all I can say, is that I see no abnormalities with a FFTF of 0.10, but with the upside of no stutter or chop.  Also, this is the only sim and version of the sim that has ever given me the ability to say that there is now no stutter, freeze, chop, to as low as crazy FPS ratings.  I could never do this with any previous P3D, or FSX base.  If I start to rise above that FFTF setting of .10...then I CAN introduce increasing stutter, etc.  It's not the sim in general, it is that FFTF setting WITH this sim.  My personal take, anyways! :)

Whatever the reason, or reasons....I'm totally delighted to experience it.   I no longer care much what FPS the sim is putting out, but merely now a morbid curiosity....from days of yore...

Ses

Hey Ses,

Well, at least you've had a good go with it. Still seems odd to get such dramatic changes with FFTF so low, but it will keep the sim up to pace as you report. Remember that changing the aircraft can have very big effects on how that all pans out especially if they use dlls.

Hey Ses,

Well, at least you've had a good go with it. Still seems odd to get such dramatic changes with FFTF so low, but it will keep the sim up to pace as you report. Remember that changing the aircraft can have very big effects on how that all pans out especially if they use dlls.

Right Steve...it's not the train...but that you get to the destination! :))))))

Just to point out...even with AM at 244, and FFTF at 0.10,  FSX and P3D v2.4 still have slight pause in fluid animation. It still can be seen.  You can get rid of it, with P3D v3.2.3...so this shows me that under the hood, V3.x over v2.x is different, and not merely a John Avatar running around,  or controls for real time HDR settings.  Stuff was tweaked 'under the hood'.

All in all...a very happy sim experience at this end...with running v3.2.3.

Cheers,

Ses