Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

Laptop, going from HDD to SATA2 SSD... worthwhile?

As you may see in my specs, my laptop is not exactly a good one; however, is what I've got for FS2004. After a friend told me what he did to his 2008 Dell laptop, I'm thinking about replacing my DVD drive with an SSD (I've only used my drive 6 times in 4 years). The caveat: somehow Toshiba disabled SATA3 for my laptop, with no solution in sight, so I'm stuck with SATA2 (half of SATA3 speeds).

My budget is a modest one; in the US I think I may be getting all what I need (SSD + ODD caddy) for less than USD 80. Currently, my laptop has a 640 GB 5400 rpm HDD. Taking all this into mind, do you think is it worthwhile?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've done this to a few laptops, but you really should place an SSD as the primary drive.  The 640 GB 5400 RPM platter drive then would become your storage drive.  You really wouldn't gain much (having an expensive SSD for a small storage drive) by keeping the platter as your primary... the system will move data no faster than its slowest component (the platter drive).

HTH

Greg

Then I'd have to perform 3 operations:

1) Swap HDD for an SSD

2) Swap the ODD for the HDD that was removed

3) Install Windows in the SSD... and also FS9. The idea is to leave the SSD as the C:\ drive.

Is it still worthwhile?

Is it still worthwhile?

Only you can decide that.  But to use the SSD as just a storage device and keep the slow 5400 RPM platter as your primary OS and sim drive will gain you little if anything.

Good luck,

Greg

Looks like I wasn't clear. The idea is to use the SSD as the OS + programs drive, and leave the HDD as storage.