Sign in to follow this  
ARCO

Choice of Nvidia Video card with DX10

I have been using your wonderful DX10 fixer for more than a month now and I have been extremely happy with the results as well as the ease of use.

May I ask a technical question that is not directly related to the product itself, but to the expected results: I have a Nvidia GTX 680 that is performing relatively well with my I7 3770 OC at 4.2. I wondered if I were to upgrade to a Nvidia GTX 970 would the extra power of this card be used at all by DX10 and thus improve my FSX graphic performance or not (I read so many times that FSX performance was essentially relying on the processor and not the graphic card), I only need to have this point clarified and thank you for your precious input.

With best regards,

I have a 970 which I am happy with! I upgraded from - 660ti

This is a very careful answer.

In any particular scene there is a cpu cost in preparing the scenery and objects to be drawn and passing them to th gpu, There is also a GPU cost in rendering. It is perhaps more common for the cpu to be the limit than the gpu except if you have to high level of sssgaa enabled and specially if there are a lot of clouds.

What I suggest is that you view some scenarios of interest to you with normal AA and a second time with AA disabled. If the fps increases then you were gpu limited and so there would be a benefit. If it is unchanged then in that scene you were cpu limited.

So for example in a pmdg at an aerosoft mega airport I predict that you would be cpu bound. In the base Cessna in dense cloud I suspect the gpu would be the limit.

Thank you for your honest reply Steve, I shall check that tomorrow, and since I would be in the PMDG/FSDT/Aerosoft category, I shall be careful before proceeding with my purchase!

Hello Steve, a quick word of thanks for your help. After testing as you recommended (EGLL Aerosoft with PMDG 777 and ASN), my performance with and without AA remained stuck at 20FPS, so the decision to buy a new card or not was a simple and straightforward NO!

I am grateful for your support.

Best regards,