Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Is P3D v3.2.3 the best version of the M.S. franchise, yet? Money where the mouth is:

Well...the story about a man named; Jed...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was a happy P3D v2.4 camper. Still am...but when expecting v2.6  (I passed v2.5) and with everybody else, saw that L.M. was changing the format to a v3.x series, and the requirement to re-purchase the sim base...I thought, nope...it's only v2.6 with lipstick on.  Even the posts by the early adopters didn't convince me otherwise, and to go beyond v2.4.

I knew though...that you either have to Sxxx, or get off the pot...and so one day, purchased v3.x, but let it sit upon my account, with the intention, of waiting out for the last version release for v3.x  Well..that was the plan...was enjoying great v2.4 performance, and I TRULY thought that P3D v3.x was actually a maintenance step for v2.5  I thought that, yes...

So what happened?

Curiosity of the worse, gnawing kind, 'happened'.  Fingers tapping upon the computer desk, 'happened-LOL'...I could no longer stand it,...and so downloaded my copy, which at that time was v3.2.3

I installed it on a new hard drive.

M.S. history was changed!  Immediately, after a second reboot of the sim (the first use had low FPS/blurry ground textures for some reason...shader-generation?)  the best M.S. based FPS and animation performance I have ever seen.  Blew anything away, prior, let alone all the great (truly new features that v2.5 even didn't have) features I have come to very much appreciate.

During my initial two weeks of usage, I came to the P3D Forum, and raved about the performance of this series and present version (on my system), which led...over these two weeks to a decision..

...because the 64 bit 'pressure of expected performance, was gone...with P3D 3.2.3 satisfyingly executing within 32 bit architecture.

I have, like the most of you reading this post...hundreds, into the early thousands, in total cost for software and sim base-ware for P3D vx.x.  That I would have to start totally over, and duplicate all my ORBX, and other outside the ORBX Culture was financially daunting.   

I was after the Golden Chalice of two things...maintaining a mean average of 25 FPS and up, with the sim at  basically rip-full-open on my present system, CPU/GPU, etc, and finally to see stutter (of any kind) and pause/jerk free animation, whether on the ground, in the air...upon approach, whatever...to taxi..whatever...and FINALLY...FINALLY, after all these years (other than FS9, of which I do get all the required parameters) do I have a M.S.-based flight sim, that GIVES me just that.  Sim 95 percent, full-out for visual rendering, and 25-33 (locked) FPS while running it. Butter smooth animation to boot!

Flights of hours duration. No OOM. no CTD.  Nope....(mostly G.A. flying in 3rdP air-frames over ORBX culture and other 3rdP Dev  scenery and airports)

So, as to the title of this post...if you are still with me....the best endorsement anybody can give of a flight simulator, is investing in it...that is:  money, where your mouth is...

So..I have decided to stay with my huge investment of my 32 bit P3D v3.2.3 (and later releases) franchise, for I got what I wanted, simply stellar performance with beautiful graphic output to the screen.  

Over this weekend, the money spent,  reinforced the statement from the mouth part of me regarding P3D v3.2.3

I purchased, what I was holding off on,  to complete my world installation of 'want's', but had to come to a 32 or 64 bit.... stay, or move on 'decision'.....with Dovetail soon to be released in 64 bit.

Aerosoft - US Cities X - Boston
Aerosoft - US Cities X - Detroit
Aerosoft-Daytona Beach
Imaginesim - KATL Atlanta Intl Airport P3D (latest version)
LatinVFR - Miami Int’l Airport KMIA v3
LatinVFR - San Diego KSAN HD
LatinVFR-Key West v2
LatinVFR-South West Florida KRSW
LatinVFR-San Jaun TJSJ
TAG-Myrtle Beach

All of the above, are giving me 21-33 FPS throughout all flight operations....with the sim ripped.

There's the mouth...and then, there's the money.  That's how good I personally think P3D v3.2.3 is as a flight simulator platform. Money output,  backing up the mouth output.

With the multiple installer of each product, I did also install into FSX, as well as P3D v2.4  Even FS9, where some also had that option!

To anybody that hasn't decided to purchase into the P3D franchise...FS2004'ers...P3D v2x'ers....FSX(any version including DX10)'ers...you are seriously missing out on some great performance, great visuals...too many to rattle off..some in your face, some out of the corner of your eye...

So...this is my personal 'Money where the Mouth is..' endorsement for those still sitting on the fence.  I was a very happy P3D v2.4 user. I am now, a MUCH MORE happier  P3D v3.2.3 user, in all areas of visual and usage operation. Over and out...

I will certainly look at Dovetail when it comes out...might even purchase it for curiosities' sake...but no way, am I prepared to duplicate my ORBX  Culture, or other scenery and airport  32-bit portfolio, to populate the platform.  Retirement looms...and I'm done.  Divorce is not an option....

Cheers, all

Ses

NOTAM for P3D v2 and v3 users...

If you decided to purchase Imaginesim's KATL, you need to know this for multiple version installation.  When you purchase the KATL, you will have two download executes. One for FSX and one for P3D.  The P3D is generic...it found my first P3D installation in the Registry, and that was for P3D v2.4's folder.  I installed. 

I then ran the P3D installer again, but it would not let me install to any other folder, but only to REMOVE/uninstall the airport.  In the manual, Imaginesim, states that you can create another folder outside of your P3D folders for multiple P3D installations.  Well, you can't...for their install mask will not allow it.  What you can do, as I did..is merely copy over the entire Imaginesim KATL folder from my P3D v2.4, to my P3D v3.2.3 ADDOn Scenery Folder. I then ran P3D v3.2.3, and manually added KATL to the Scenery Library. It installed no problem. 

Imaginesim KATL in P3D v3.2.3

2016_4_24_12_38_31_112.png

2016_4_24_12_46_40_867.png

2016_4_24_12_41_50_324.png

2016_4_24_12_46_39_263.png

2016_4_24_12_46_40_867.png

2016_4_24_12_55_20_538.png

2016_4_24_12_56_54_508.png

2016_4_24_12_58_2_221.png

I am now, a MUCH MORE happier  P3D v3.2.3 user, in all areas of visual and usage operation. Over and out...

Enjoyable and insightful piece Ses! Thanks!

tell me Sir Satisfied....

1. what was the upgrade process?

A. Total reinstall, or incremental?

B. All of V3.2 or just the main?

3. Reinstall of DLC or saved key file and folder reintegration?

4. UTX?

Any NON-destructive update tips appreciated.

Cheers

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

To me, even a complete reinstall is "fairly" painless with a little prior planning. When uninstalling P3D - it will not uninstall any third party files UNLESS they have overwritten a core P3D file. With that in mind, when I uninstall P3D, I do NOT delete the core p3d folder - so most of my add ons are still there. I just reinstall P3D to the same folder and everything works. For products like ASN, I just restore the dll.xml entries, etc.

I usually only have to reinstall FTX products because they modify core files which get overwritten.

Now, if you DELETE everything - all bets are off!   :)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Enjoyable and insightful piece Ses! Thanks!

tell me Sir Satisfied....

1. what was the upgrade process?

A. Total reinstall, or incremental?

B. All of V3.2 or just the main?

3. Reinstall of DLC or saved key file and folder reintegration?

4. UTX?

Any NON-destructive update tips appreciated.

Cheers

Chas

Hi Chas...

I actually didn't upgrade v2.4.  I kept it...for there are still some ORBX not ported over for v3.x   I merely installed (they sit side by side, with no registry conflict whatsoever...)  P3D v3.2.3 from the full installer I downloaded.  That's about it...then over the course of the two weeks, just re-installed from all my files, and when I needed a P3D v3.x ORBX installer, I redownloaded once more from the store.  The list you see that I purchased over this weekend...installed in FS9, FSX, P3D v2.4, and P3D v3.2.3 without a burp.  I have been running from one airport to another...and man oh man..do I completely recommend the purchase list.  For instance, if you grab the Detroit airport, you are not only getting a very detailed Detroit Metro..but heck...a total remake of downtown Detroit..with beautiful detailed buildings....the GM centre is now true chrome, etc..and the whole Detroit River is basically reshaped and reworked.  Even across the pond, in Windsor , Ontario it has elements added. If anybody is a Michigander....GRAB this package...for you will get a virtual Detroit, the Detroit Metro, and a great, detailed (FINALLY)  Ambassador Bridge, that all fits well with U.T. products.  In fact, each airport purchase, is actually a total upgrade of the surrounding x/y miles with photo-real, landmarks...the whole shebang. I am most,most pleased with the transformation to the sim, in each of the airport geographical locations, Chas.  Well worth the coin to purchase for all.  Not one bad comment across all the Dev's that released my list.  I will tell you though...I am now a LatinVFR Groupie.  Each product, is absolutely top notch!  Each property and surrounding area, begs a chopper to see it all...not a plane at 100 or more knots!!!!!  That good....VFR, baby...VFR eye-candy....

So...if you don't have P3D v3.2.3....just install the whole thing. Leave your v2.x alone...if you have the disk room...and go about loading in all your stuff for P3D v3.2.3. Doing this clean..will not waste any effort...you will get a clean and hot install...and with my list..on my system...I am getting a running base of 20-33 FPS depending on what I am seeing, and where I am in the airports.  The greatest hit...(the 20-22FPS) is at Imaginesim KATL...but...you have GOT to see the detail and scope of this airport...damn!  Over 300 gates...yessir...300!  Even at 35 percent on my MyTraffic 5 series...the gates are crammed with aircraft. At taxi..and in spot view...rubber-necking 350 degrees...I easily got 20-33 FPS range at the airport..and that is with the way I run the sim...at ripped visual output. All sliders for graphics full right.

LatinVFR Miami v3 as well as their Key West v2. are both stunners....so go for it...any of the above mentioned, new purchases,,,,..and you won't be unhappy with the visuals,...as well as the performance.  22 FPS in P3D v3.2.3 is a cake walk.  Again, I had one ASN thunder storm instance where I rendered for about 2 minutes of flight path, at 11-15 FPS...and STILL...gave me smooth animation.  That was one of the BIG reasons, that you see the 32 bit, airport shopping list above you... :dance:

Cheers,

Mitch

To me, even a complete reinstall is "fairly" painless with a little prior planning. When uninstalling P3D - it will not uninstall any third party files UNLESS they have overwritten a core P3D file. With that in mind, when I uninstall P3D, I do NOT delete the core p3d folder - so most of my add ons are still there. I just reinstall P3D to the same folder and everything works. For products like ASN, I just restore the dll.xml entries, etc.

I usually only have to reinstall FTX products because they modify core files which get overwritten.

Now, if you DELETE everything - all bets are off!   :)

Vic

IWhy bother with trying to blend...just install the whole P3D v3.2.3 shebang...and have a clean slate to start loading in the eye-candy...I did that..and have no problems..and top FPS and animation performance...It only took me a week part-time install to get all into P3D v3.2 that I had resident in v2.4, less what was not ready from ORBX.  I make claim of my P3D v3.2.3 performance only by a totally full and clean slate...and then adding in 3rdP.

Just a follow up folks to this post:

I have had the time to use/enjoy my new purchases.  I only have one critique comment, but..I possibly understand why it was done.  In Imaginesim KATL2016, the light pole floodlight light lenses don't show any kind of light illumination upon the ground, or at the lenses, themselves. I thought I had a bad install, so I checked it out across FSX, P3D v2.4, and P3D v3.2

The airport property between the rows of terminals is 'lit'...but no suspension of disbelief that the illumination is coming from the lights above.

I do believe that this was a design consideration for FPS conservancy, as the property is massive, with over 300 gates!!!

So, that's about the only point-out comment on the whole shebang. Everything else is top notch at this airport and surrounding countryside, as well as all the others on my posted list.

With the sim at 95 percent open slided, I can maintain 20-32.8/9 FPS at taxi, and rubber necking.at KATL 2016. This is with MyTraffic 5.x set within the sim to 35 percent. That is my usual populating rate across my platforms, for A.I.  Pushing the Airport Traffic and Equipment, to full right, made no FPS impact on my system.

A NOTAM:  I have really never used the Airport equiment traffic slider at all.  I only thought it was airport vehicles moving around. Well...that isn't the case. When I put the slider to full out, just to see what impact it would have for my FPS...lo and behold, TONS of support (static) equipment populated the area around the gates, and the planes.  luggage trams, tractors, cars, pick-up trucks, fuel trucks, etc.  So..I have decided to keep this slider as on...either at medium, or full right, depending on the FPS outcome at each location.  You pay for these graphic renderings, so if your system can still maintain usable FPS...why not see them?!?!?!?

All the other acquisitions have no comments to point out something I'd like to have changed, and recommend them me all, with a highlight of Aerosoft City X-Detroit.  It really, really kicks up, not only KDTW, but areas covering the Detroit river banks, on both sides, as well as the Lake-St. Clair injest, into the mouth of the Detroit River.  Finally, downtown Detroit, looks like the real deal, with a great representation of the Renaissance Centre and areas surrounding Jefferson Blvd.

Mitch Approved, by use, the lot of them.... :wink: