Sign in to follow this  
spokes2112

How To - Check Own Aircraft for Flooding.

Flooding... What is it?
In a nutshell it occurs when a programmer sends commands to flight simulator without knowing the "state" of the command itself.

029_sm.jpg?dl=0

A simple example in human language -  
Bad = If my switch is on, then turn on lights.
Good = If my switch is on "and" the lights are off, then turn on lights.

What are the problems in flooding?

• In a native MP or FSHost session, these flooding commands (ALL of them) are sent across the session. The gauge system does this 18 times per second. Unknown of the frequency over the network, (FSHost ~3 Hz)  but it can't be good.
  • Exits, Selecting Engines etc.. A good example is an aircraft with multiple exits. "Shift-E" will work for exit 1 because there is no supplemental keystroke entry for selecting a different exit. When, for example, trying to open exit 2 when an aircraft floods is the person keys in "Shift-E". Between the time "Shift-E" was pressed and prior to "2" being pressed, the flooding commands overwrote the "time space" that was open waiting for "2" being pressed. Exit 1 opens instead.

How to check for flooding in your own aircraft -

• Requires a registered FSUIPC. (FSX+, FS9 is possible but requires different steps)
  • Open up FSUIPC and select the "logging" tab.
  • Select the check boxes as shown below. Once the "Send to Console Window" is checked a DOS window will open.

start.jpg?dl=0
NOTES -
*1 = In almost all cases the flooding will show up with this setting.
*2 = Occasionally flooding will show up with this setting. ( A reported flood is the PMDG 737 with the spoilers active ) This setting has a secondary purpose. One can check for dirty potentiometers in their controller by selecting this. 

Below is an example of flooding - the Bearcat radios. In most cases flooding occurs with the lights, smoke & electrical system but not exclusively. In some cases flooding occurs only when a specific event happens in advanced aircraft - "My engine blew up!" 

flood.jpg?dl=0

Energizer_Bunny_animated.gif?dl=0

To stop logging, again in the FSUIPC logging tab, either -

• Click Stop -or-
  • Unselect all checkboxes on the left side.

off.jpg?dl=0

Roman_Full_combo_AVSIM_2.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS Host/Client 

Yamaha CR 1000/JBL 2500, AMD 965 BE OC'd @ 3.88, RipJaw 2x4GB 1600 CL7, Gigabyte GTX-1070 OC 8GB, Asus M4A87TD EVO (AMD 870), Samsung 850 EVO 256GB & 1TB SSDs, WD 1T & 500G Black, 19" & 32" LCD, Win7 Pro 64bit, TMaster T-Flight HOTAS, FSX/FS9, FSUIPC / LUA, FSRealWX Pro, PlanG, JoinFS, LittleNavMap

Copilot - Samantha the "Hound"                EAA Chapter 651
       samantha.jpg?dl=1

Hey thanks for this, I'm going to check out my Bf109

I checked the flooding list after I left the multi player flight to see what was listed in the spreadsheet, and did in fact find the Bf109.  I was desperate to find a plane that would work for me and just grabbed it from my hanger. Hopefully it was not a cause of any issues like Flippe being bumped.  He had the issue before I switched planes so perhaps not.

I also found out that my planes were not fully patched and this was my issue.  Shows what happens when you do a quick install and quick test the night before...I needed to take a longer flight of course.  All's well now.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

The Real Air Simulations Spitfire also floods this test. (It constantly repeats its insistence that the simulator turn off the smoke effect.) So it seems that Spitfire pilots (including this one) should turn to the A2A version for our multiplayer excursions.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Gentlemen,

There is no blame here, whatsoever. We have fun on Saturdays. This past one was no different.
The above is nothing more than a confirmation test.

Fly your plane! But as a side note... If it does flood, say so.
1 on MP "may" be alright. 2 maybe over the top, as experienced.
Why or how people get booted on any network when one is flooding is a big ?

If you run the test, it fails - It's your job to advise the author(s) and report it.
Let us not degrade the Saturday.

Roman_Full_combo_AVSIM_2.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS Host/Client 

Yamaha CR 1000/JBL 2500, AMD 965 BE OC'd @ 3.88, RipJaw 2x4GB 1600 CL7, Gigabyte GTX-1070 OC 8GB, Asus M4A87TD EVO (AMD 870), Samsung 850 EVO 256GB & 1TB SSDs, WD 1T & 500G Black, 19" & 32" LCD, Win7 Pro 64bit, TMaster T-Flight HOTAS, FSX/FS9, FSUIPC / LUA, FSRealWX Pro, PlanG, JoinFS, LittleNavMap

Copilot - Samantha the "Hound"                EAA Chapter 651
       samantha.jpg?dl=1