Sign in to follow this  
1mikel151

Why is FS9 More Expensive in the UK?

It's not just Flightsim. Most things are more expensive in Europe than in the US...I don't know about food and other essential stuffs, but consumer electronics, cars, fuel, you name it...it's all more expensive.It's the same in most (all?) European conuntries. I have no idea why. That's just the way it is. It's even worse here in Sweden because of our 25% VAT.Maybe someone here has studied economy and can tell us why? :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Toni Rauch

The reason is simple - we're stupid enough to pay, and pretty well all the manufacturers know it!Sure, we have a little moan now and then, but the cr*p we generally put up with in the UK (as consumers) when compared to the US is incredible!Toni.

Hi Victor,I've just checked the price at www.play.com and FS9 is

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Matt Johnson

*nods* If I remember correctly, Play is 'based' in Jersey and so uses its tax haven status to reduce prices the way it does.

As said, everything is more expensive in Europe. The UK isn't the worst off though, try the Netherlands.I paid

Guest BryUK

Thanks for reminding me about Play.com and FS add-ons. Just grabbed Flightsofts Fly to Hawaii for 15 quid. A fiver less than buying it direct and that's without the international P&P I'd have had to pay. Not bad saying as its the KC-10 I'm mainly after.As for prices, I usually use consoles as a good example. The Xbox for instance launched in the UK at about $600.Turning back the clock a few more years, the old Sega Saturn hit shelves in the $700 mark.

>Local US Sales Tax has to be added to the price>advertised which still makes it cheaper but not by as much as>originally thought.>And the US consumer doesn't have pay sales tax on software downloads AFAIK.We "lucky" people in the EU have to pay VAT.

Guest wildfire563

By law, most if not all states require that all purchases online be reported and sales tax paid in the state in which you reside. It is not well enforced however. Tax paid depends on the state. New Hampshire does not have a sales tax. Massachusetts is 5%. New York can be 8% or higher.

Hi Matt,Yes it is but the good old British Government is going to close that loophole at some point in time.It really pees me off that they can't stop finding ways of separating me frommy money. :-madCheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Perhaps I should be on commission :-hahThings have got better here in recent years mainly because of the Internet. CD prices are a classic example. I was paying ten quid 15 years ago and I can still pick up one for the same price. Comparatively a lot cheaper of course.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Victor,Vote UKIP next time! :7Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather