Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Scenery Library Structure

Hi all,

An image below of my current P3D v3.2 Scenery Library. Some stuff I had to add manually and worried that the order of, in particular, ORBX stuff might have been disrupted. No particular issues in the sim that I have noticed but I would like to be sure this is OK before I continue adding airports and scenery. Any comments appreciated.

Off the screen at the top (priority 1-3) are add on airports. Aeroworx is African landclass to take away the huge deserts and overdone jungles. Toposim and FreeMesh X are mesh and of course I run ORBX Global and Vector. I also have FTX NA and some of their airports including Friday Harbour but not yet installed them to this new system. 

Thanks!

Scenery%20Lib.jpg

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Typically, from the top down - 

Custom Airports

Custom Regions (FTXNA, etc)

Vector Products

Textures ( Global)

LandClass

Mesh

Now, this is as I understand it - any scenery guru's, please feel free to correct me - 

The above order is for easy visual reference only - the order of the GROUPS ( mesh, lc, vector) makes no difference

HOWEVER - the order WITHIN the individual group DOES make a difference

lets say you have FTX NA installed and you have a custom airport for KSFO - 

If you have KSFO custom higher in the list, it will display over the stock or FTXNA version - if you have it layered BELOW FTXNA - then the custom will not display properly.

So usually, within a group - the most detailed are at the top.

Hope this didn't confuse you more.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hope this didn't confuse you more.

Nonononooooooo!... I have everything above,AND ORBX,

SCA

SEAK

UK

WALES

NZ

SEDONA

...AND

UTX2.1

-Canada

-EUR

-USA

and I've lost my last Scenery.cfg... Trying to rebuild

...So every little smidgeeon of Scenery.cfg organization/priority info I can glean is nothing but gold for me…

I do NOT want to re-install all that stuff!!!

So thanks for the input!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

And, to make matters worse, the Scenery LIBRARY is the REVERSE order of the scenery.CFG. IMHO, it's easier to order everything in the LIBRARY and let P3D rebuild the CFG.

Chas - I'm set up pretty much like you - I have GEXP3D rather than FTX Global an UTX rather than Vector but I have PNW, NCA, SCA, CRM,NRM,SAK. I use the order I mentioned above with a few custom airports first, followed by the orbx regions, then UTX, then default stuff, then free mesh.

Seems to give me the best looks.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Typically, from the top down - 

Custom Airports

Custom Regions (FTXNA, etc)

Vector Products

Textures ( Global)

LandClass

Mesh

Orbx Open Land Class Europe, is LandClass, so under Textures (Global)? Or Custom Regions?

Tip: In Orbx Configurator2 you can set an insertion point voor the Orbx stuff, so you don't have to move everything each time after Orbx checks the scenery.cfg.

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

Ok, so referring to my original post screenshot, based on the typical order mentioned by Vic on post #2, I should Edit the following:

Move Aeroworx (landclass) to below all the ORBX entries that are current sitting in positions 25 to 28 and,

Move the Toposim Africa and all the FreemeshX below that again, immediately above Bathemetry.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Within the SCENERY LIBRARY in P3D - other than it makes it easier to read, it makes no difference as to the order of the layers ( Texture, Landclass, Mesh, Vector) - P3D will put them where they belong no matter how you have them. To help keep the order in my head, I find it easier to group them in the order I posted above.

The thing to remember - let's take one layer - mesh - WITHIN each specific layer the order IS important - I use FSG2010 Mesh and FreeMeshX - I have the FSG underneath the FreeMesh because I prefer the freemesh. This way any areas that freemesh does not cover will have precedence and any area they both cover, Freemesh will be used. If I reversed the order then FSG would be dominant.

The way I have the layers ordered in my SL - I have my mesh just above the default Base Scenery entries

Then all the default country areas

Bathymetry

UTX Vecor and landclass

Orbx regions

Individual airports

The other thing to be aware of re landclass - both Orbx and UTX use landclass within their individual regions so any OTHER landclass should be below them. If you follow the order I listed you should be good to go.

to summarize - the order of the LAYERS is unimportant - P3D will arrange them properly but the order of the individual files within EACH LAYER is important - the one loaded last will override the others.

Vic

Orbx Open Land Class Europe, is LandClass, so under Textures (Global)? Or Custom Regions?
Tip: In Orbx Configurator2 you can set an insertion point voor the Orbx stuff, so you don't have to move everything each time after Orbx checks the scenery.cfg.

Generally it would make no difference because landclass is landclass and textures are textures - different layers - they will be ordered properly by P3D. Putting the LC below the others helps me keep the order in my head.

BUT :smile: with orbx regions you have to be aware that each REGION has it's OWN landclass - so you want to be sure that OpenLC or any other LC you might use is below the regions.

That's why I said it's best to have your most detailed airports and areas on top.

Vic