Sign in to follow this  
dever23b

2.0: Still having trouble with FS exiting cleanly

Hi Bryan:

Thanks for 2.0!  I'm looking forward to trying out all of the new features.  This software really does line up in the top tier of best FS addons.

Awhile back, in this thread, I reported having some issues after upgrading to 1.1.  Specifically, whenever I activate FS2Crew, something happens that guarantees FS will crash when attempting to end the flight (whether it's just "End flight" back to the home screen, or attempting to exit FS altogether).  Thankfully, the crash is consistent and doesn't occur during flight; however, after isolating all of my addon software, I have determined that it's definitely FS2Crew that triggers the crashes.  

In the last thread, you suggested my system was messed up.  Well, I tried everything I could think of to clean up my system while avoiding a complete re-install, but I finally took you up on your suggestion, wiped FS, and started over.  In the process of getting all of my addons installed, I discovered 2.0 (thank you!) and upgraded to that.  

I just want to report that I'm still having the crash in 2.0 and ask if maybe you've seen this elsewhere or discovered a fix yet.  The crash appears to be the same circumstance as my last report: everything works fine, insofar as flying, but whenever I activate FS2Crew, it sets off a dead man's switch of some sort: after I activate FS2Crew (even if I just simply activate it and then immediately end a flight), FS crashes when it tried to end the flight.  I know it probably seems petty to you, but it actually is fairly frustrating: any FS changes I made during flight get lost, so I have to remember to jot down the changes and commit them again and exit out of FS before my next flight so they get saved.  Also, I've been having a tough time with random failures on my PMDG -- it seems like it never gets to save flight progress, since FS2Crew keeps crashing FS on exit, so my plane is always "new" next time I load it.

I know you're working on a lot of things and this probably seems petty to you, but I'd really appreciate if you could give this another look.

Thanks for your time

Hi Tyler,

FS exits cleanly for me when using FS2Crew.

It's very difficult to fix what I cannot reproduce.

Generally, though, ensure all your drivers are up to date.

In the FSX forums, some people have mentioned that over-clocking can trigger crashes.

Google can help too:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fsx%20crashes%20on%20shutdown

Are you de-selecting HS on the Main Panel prior to shut-down?  Try that.

Best,

Hi Tyler,

FS exits cleanly for me when using FS2Crew.

It's very difficult to fix what I cannot reproduce.

Generally, though, ensure all your drivers are up to date.

In the FSX forums, some people have mentioned that over-clocking can trigger crashes.

Google can help too:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fsx%20crashes%20on%20shutdown

Are you de-selecting HS on the Main Panel prior to shut-down?  Try that.

Best,

Thank you! I haven't considered de-selecting HS.  And, in fact, I almost always have that selected.  I'll try that next flight.  Thanks for the suggestion

Bryan:

I tried your suggestion regarding the "HS" toggle, and also verified that the "LK" toggle was disengaged prior to attempting to exit FS; unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue.

I haven't done any overclocking.  It seems like FS hangs before it crashes... almost as if it's hanging on something (maybe its children to exit?), and then it reaches a timeout and crashes.  Could there be an issue with FS2Crew unloading (or, more specifically, failing to unload)?

This crash doesn't seem to occur until FS2Crew is installed and activated in the sim, so I'm really struggling to find any other causal factor.  I haven't overclocked, nor done anything fancy with my fsx.cfg.  The only tweaks I'm aware of to my fsx.cfg were done during my installs of a few airport sceneries (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to list other products).  However, the crash started happening before I purchased those scenery products, so I doubt any fsx.cfg changes they made resulted in the crash.  I also don't use any of the ENBseries hacks.  

Is there a debug mode I can run with FS2Crew to get you additional log details or something?  I understand the difficulty of attempting to find a problem you can't reproduce, but I'd really appreciate if you could make an attempt to help me-- or at least guide me in how to get you better data --rather than simply blame my system and say the product works perfectly.  I'm certainly not trying to shame your product; I think it's fantastic and I'm very grateful for you developing it, but I'm having trouble with it and just want some help.  I see that there's many reasons why FS might crash, but clearly it has something to do with FS2Crew since the only crash that ever happens is once FS2Crew is loaded, and the crash occurs every single time FS2Crew is loaded and, so far, never when FS2Crew is not loaded.

I am not an expert with the guts of FSX.  I'm willing to experiment with things, but I don't know how to figure out what interaction FS2Crew is having with (whatever other software) that is causing the crash.  

I'm not sure if you were referring to the first result there (which, for me, was FSX crashes every time I shutdown) or the 75,000 results from that google search... but I did read that first thread.  Unfortunately, none of the solutions seemed to apply to me. 

Although exhausting all of the suggestions in that thread did not yield any successful results, the suggestion to change to a default aircraft prior to exiting gave me an idea.  When I tried to switch aircraft, I determined that the crash actually occurs when attempting to unload the PMDG aircraft, rather than when the flight is terminated (I experienced the crash when attempting to load a default B737).  

Using this information, I decided to try my luck monitoring the FS process and then debugging the crash.  That's when I discovered that I was mistaken when I told you I'd disabled all addons.  I forgot about a custom gauge I use.  For this, I'm very sorry.  I believe I've discovered how you can reproduce my crash.  I have an old addon called Airport Chart Gauge, developed a very long time ago by Holger Maass.  The addon works by itself, as does FS2Crew in absence of the APChart gauge.  When the gauge is loaded, and FS2Crew's voice feature is activated, FS crashes.  

I saved the last activity information from Process Monitor, and the call stack from Visual Studio, but it's a rather large text dump for a forum post; I'd be happy to upload the information somewhere if you'd like.  

As I mentioned, the crash only occurs once FS2Crew's voice feature has been activated.  When FS2Crew is in button mode, there is no conflict.  I also attempted to switch FS2Crew back to button mode, after enabling voice, prior to ending the flight; this did not work either: once voice mode has been activated, FS is doomed.

Please let me know if this helps track the bug down.

Hi Tyler,

Send me a Support Ticket via: www.fs2crew.com

You can show me this via a Remote Desktop.

Cheers,

Silly me; I didn't even realize there was a ticket system.  I thought the forum was the support mechanism.  My apologies!  I've created a ticket as requested, 969-SQ3-2GZJ.