Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Dumfries & Galloway aviation museum

My wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary by going back the where we honeymooned (Newton Stewart). In deciding to re-visit the area we went somewhere new, namely the above museum.

It's a small site, based around the control tower at the former RAF Dumfries. However, there's so much memorabilia in the three floors of the control tower, not to mention the outdoor exhibits themselves, you should probably plan to spend a day or most of a day there. It's not free to get in, but £4.50 per adult is worth it IMHO. The aircraft are indeed very tired and need some restoration, but like any museum, they are constantly trying to do that.

Right, here's some photos!

A REAL aeroplane: English Electric Lightning (no arguments please!)

CIMG1525_zps9beedktj.jpg

CIMG1548_zpsviemkeje.jpg

The pointy bit of a Trident you can walk around in.

CIMG1526_zps8jvwafuv.jpg

I believe the cockpit was once open so you could sit in it, but things go missing, sad to say, so it's gated off. Note the orange display in the centre of the panel for the moving map - decades before your multicolour satnav screen!

CIMG1536_zpsrjlqfrmr.jpg

CIMG1537_zps518sijfy.jpg

Excuse, me. Stewardess!! :)

CIMG1534_zpsdj0hhwgu.jpg

Notice the Ram Air Turbine at the back of the cabin section. More about that later! Either side of the RAT were display cabinets with model airliners of assorted scales in them.

A CF-6 from a DC-10

CIMG1532_zpsx26jxwmg.jpg

JT9D from a 747-100

CIMG1530_zpsyxadrxas.jpg

A Fairey Gannet - they're quite big when you get up close!

CIMG1546_zpsf081q6md.jpg

SAAB Draken

CIMG1551_zpsvqsiawrz.jpg

Hang on, Dragons usually breathe fire from their front end not the rear..... :)

CIMG1562_zpsbkaqns0j.jpg

A Mystere

CIMG1553_zpsajoo2laa.jpg

Wessex helicopter

CIMG1554_zpsxkkfh5cr.jpg

A T33, Jet Provost and F-100 Super Sabre. Behind, you can see the control tower. The ground floor hosts quite a collection of aero engines, the first and second floors host most of the memorabilia.

CIMG1552_zpslgjsj8kj.jpg

View from the top floor of the tower. I took this to show the remains of one of the runways :(

CIMG1560_zpsu3mbr4ud.jpg

F-100

CIMG1555_zpsurcq3ufl.jpg

...complete with afterburning plant pot!!

CIMG1557_zpsaa6psu7l.jpg

New construction to house some exhibits - there's going to be 4 of these big nissen huts I believe. Note the F-111 escape capsule in front of the Mystere's nose.

CIMG1565_zpsuk6e6ios.jpg

Canberra cockpit

CIMG1545_zpskbvxb6sw.jpg

I managed to get in both seats. Navigator:

CIMG1538_zpsk2fsxyvu.jpg

Here's the pilot's instrument panel

CIMG1540_zpsygl29i0s.jpg

Really, really dilapidated with a rat's nest of wiring, sadly.

Speaking of rats; more about the RAT in the Trident! I spotted it and said to my wife, excitedly "Look a RAT!", but didn't realise the ramifications..... Now, she not being as much of an aeroplane buff, didn't think Ram Air Turbine, but good old furry rattus rattus. She screamed "WHERE?" and was ready to bolt out of the fuselage, replacement knee or not! Oh, how I laughed!  :Tounge:  :wub:  I'm going to dine out on this little gem for some time!

Anyway, I'm not much of a David Bailey when it comes to photos, but I hope you enjoy this thread. CHEERS!

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for sharing your 25th anniversary trip, and best wishes for the next 25 years!

• Upvote 1

Thank you, sir!  We did say to the hotel staff that we'd try not to leave it another 25 years before returning  :wink: