Sign in to follow this  
maddog7800

Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files...

If you started with a blank canvas, how's it got that SDK stuff entered in there?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

No idea, but I've deleted that folder the last several times I've done a reinstall, and those two files are regenerated each time.  This is the first time I've opened them to see what is in there, though.

That's the dlls from the FSX boxed SDK. You should be sure to remove all traces of FSX boxed and FSX-SE before attempting to install FSX-SE alone.

doubtful

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK

is where the Boxed FSX SDK installs.

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK

is where FSX-SE installs the SDK

I doubt you'll ever get FSX-SE installed.

What is doubtful?  That Steam is installing the dll.xml and exe.xml files like that?  I'm sure I've deleted those files between installations, so Steam is definitely creating them. 

Or are you saying it's doubtful that the SDK exists where the dll.xml is pointing?  In that case, you are correct - Steam is installing the SDK in the SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK folder.  No idea why the dll.xml is pointing elsewhere.  It's almost like Steam thinks I've had boxed FSX and is trying to point to those files (but they don't exist).

I may try manually pointing the dll.xml entries to the correct location under the SteamApps folder (where the SDK is actually located).  It's worth a try, but I sure don't understand what would trigger these issues...

I doubt very much that the FSX-SE installer is making those SDK entries since it is boxed SDK. I've not seen an FSX-SE installation do that.

Your install seems so confused, I am saying that I don't expect you can get FSX-SE installed. Needs a clean Windows install most likely.

In the examples in the SDK, which even in the steam folder are the same, are example dll.xml files which show how to invoke the SDK items. These examples point to the boxed SDK locations. There must be some process generating those entries on your system, taking them from these examples. But it's not the FSX-SE installer, at least, I've not seen it do that.

What Graphics Card do you have?  Have you got the latest Drivers Installed for your card? 

Steve

Steve,  could this be a DirectX problem? 

What Graphics Card do you have? Have you got the latest Drivers Installed for your card?

I have a GTX 970 with up-to-date drivers.

I doubt very much that the FSX-SE installer is making those SDK entries since it is boxed SDK. I've not seen an FSX-SE installation do that.

Your install seems so confused, I am saying that I don't expect you can get FSX-SE installed. Needs a clean Windows install most likely.

In the examples in the SDK, which even in the steam folder are the same, are example dll.xml files which show how to invoke the SDK items. These examples point to the boxed SDK locations. There must be some process generating those entries on your system, taking them from these examples. But it's not the FSX-SE installer, at least, I've not seen it do that.

I just confirmed that the dll.xml file timestamp matches the date and timestamp of my FSX-SE installation.  I'm going to do a search of my system to see if they exist somewhere else that they are being copied from during installation.

The dll.xml and exe.xml files match what is also in my \steamapps\common\FSX\ConfigData\AppData folder, so I suspect that is where they are being copied from.  That being said, changing dll.xml to point to the correct SDK folder didn't change anything, so all of this may be a red herring...

DTG asked me for a msinfo32 dump, so it looks like they are looking into this for me now.  We'll see if they turn up anything...

What Graphics Card do you have?  Have you got the latest Drivers Installed for your card? 

Steve,  could this be a DirectX problem?

Unable to make user folders seems more like a privileges issue. Strange problem.

Yeah. I'm not sure if it's unable to make those folders or if it's just failing before getting to that point. The error is just so vague.

Idea. Have you got steam DLC addons for FSX-SE ? If so disable those before doing a clean install.

Nope.  No Steam addons.  The only FSX addons I have are from ORBX, but not through Steam and those have been uninstalled already.  Thanks for continuing to come up with ideas, though.

Well Maddog,  did you ever get to the bottom of your issue 

I did not.  DTG is looking into it now.  The last message I received from them was that my issue had been handed off to a developer, who would be contacting me directly. 

I will definitely post here if a fix is discovered!