Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

First flight with P2Av2

I've come pretty late to this party so I'm sure most of my observations have already been mentioned. I've used just about all of the ATC addons from even before Radar Contact came on the scene up to Pilot2ATC. There is one of them that is perfect. In some respects, if you could put them in a blender and mix them all up, you might get the perfect program. I bought P2A because I was looking for a replacement for VOX ATC which seems to have reached its' end. Today, I took my first flight with P2A and P3Dv3 today. It was from LFBO to EGLL in the Aerosoft A319. I wasn't able to complete the flight because of an OOM on approach to Heathrow. That had nothing to do with P2A. P2A worked very well. Actually, I was a little surprised. The problems that I had were probably as much to do with my inexperience using the software as the program itself. I don't know that any issue that I ran into would be considered a bug, per se. When I got to the departure runway the tower had me hold for traffic. After the traffic landed they kind of forgot about me and I had to contact them again to get take off clearance. After take off, I flew the assigned SID with no problem and was directed to contact center. One thing that I'd like to see is a virtual co-pilot that handles the change of radio frequencies. If you're using FS2crew you can tell your FO to change the frequency. I think it would be especially helpful in X-Plane where some of the aircraft can be a little funky with changing radio frequencies. Another thing that might be helpful is the ability to ask the controller to repeat his last transmission.( Dave, I apologize if some of these features already exist and I missed them.) At one point I had to leave the cockpit and I missed a change of frequency and I was never able to connect again until I was in tower range. I know this has come up before but it would be nice to hear the interaction between the AI traffic and the various controllers. I know that "canned" chatter is available but it's not the same. I obviously have a lot more work to do to learn to use this software properly. I think it has a ton of potential and look forward to going along for the ride.

NAX669.png

Hi mwilk

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Does the say it function work well and could you use it full time? I am not one for talking into the microphone.

2. I fly mostly VFR. Most people say the FSX default atc is good enough for VFR, but I am getting a bit tired of the same old voices. How does Pilot2ATC preform with VFR flight?

Many thanks for any replies.

John

Hi mwilk

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Does the say it function work well and could you use it full time? I am not one for talking into the microphone.

2. I fly mostly VFR. Most people say the FSX default atc is good enough for VFR, but I am getting a bit tired of the same old voices. How does Pilot2ATC preform with VFR flight?

Many thanks for any replies.

John

John,

The say it function worked reasonably wee. Again, some of my issues were probably related to being new with the software. I haven't tried vfr yet, so I can't give an opinion. Download the version 2 trial. It's good for 10 days and it's not crippleware.

NAX669.png

Hello mwilk, johnbla, 

I use this software a lot since my purchase.

To change frequencies quickly you can click "COM 1" and to key in the frequency.

The summary of the conversation is in the gray box at the bottom right.

Available for different phrases including the repeat function, click the "?" and if you are on a frequency available you can select "Phrase Type" and then "sentences".

johnbla

1. "Say It" function works all the time now. You must first select "Phrase Types" and "phrases" in one click with "?", Then press "Say it"

It is best to use a second screen to the window PILOT2ATC for me.

Mickael

Mickael,

Thank you very much for the pointers. I'm trying to avoid having to access the P2A GUI once I start the flight. I wonder if at some point in the future, Dave could make the GUI compatible with an iPad or some tablet. I'm talking waaaay in the future. Bigger fish to fry right now.

NAX669.png

I dont know why the window needs to be there at all other than for the initial flight planning part. All communications should be done in my opinion from using the aircraft com radios. The only "external" window during flight i could see needed would be one where you see the text that you should communicate to ATC (as a backup in case you dont know what to say in any given time).   

Mike,

There are folks running it on a Windows tablet or just a separate PC.  It will not be re-written to run on Android or iPad.  That would take another lifetime.

Mikced76,

You should be able to run with the window minimized after you get your flight plan filed.  You can pop it up if you want to check something, but all the Com, Nav, etc. control can be done from the cockpit.

Dave

There are folks running it on a Windows tablet or just a separate PC.  It will not be re-written to run on Android or iPad.  That would take another lifetime.

Not a problem. Just a thought. Like I said, bigger fish to fry right now.

NAX669.png

That sound good Dave, I might give Pilot2ATC a go :) Was so worried that the external window was needed to dial freq etc since every single video I see on youtube etc that window is present. Now all that is needed is for Pilot2ATC to actually control AI traffic. Then it will really blow away all the competition old and new in my humle opinion.

Mike