Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Asynchronous Timewarp for FSX Desktop version, why not?

So the VR people have this feature called Asynchronous Timewarp. From videos of people using it and reading about it, it is like voodoo magic, greatly increasing appeared frame rates.

Why isn't this available to other low frame rate games on a desktop PC?

Edit: Just wanted to add, this is apparently no tech to sneeze at. Frooglesim showed it improving frame rates from a start of 30 fps, then it turned the 30 fps into 90 fps!!!

I just got an Oculus Rift CV1 today and to be honest, asynchronous timewarp does kinda work in VR - but not on the mirror image on the monitor. With FlyinsideFSX I get relatively good fps, not 90fps but more like 40fps. I can peek through the Rift's nose gap and see the monitor, and the mirror image on the monitor gets like 1 fps. This makes me think it's only for VR, because if it had worked in a normal monitor-driven game we would've already seen developers adopting this technology in shooters and other PC games. Positional tracking is a bit weird making it near impossible to poke around, although I think it's a software issue.

As for VR in FSX, it's completely unworkable if you fly complex payware aircraft. FlyinsideFSX acts like an FSX loader like that Shade payware addon, and it will break the DRM in virtually all payware aircraft, as well as stuff like couatl in FSDT/Flightbeam scenery. Getting those addons to work is simply impossible. Secondly the pixel density of the CV1 (search Google images to see what it looks like) is still not good enough to read a lot of the smaller texts in FMC/MFD/small gauges, making the aircraft inoperable - that is if you can get the aircraft to load correctly in the first place. Thirdly the Rift shuts down when you take it off in order to conserve energy, sometimes causing FlyinsideFSX to glitch or FSX to CTD. This means you couldn't take the headset off.

The only way I can see VR being good is if you use a fresh copy of of FSX/P3D, fly simple GA aircraft, and fly short flights. IIRC that's how Froogle demonstrated it. For me VR is not fit for purpose for the type of flying I do, with PMDG and other complex airliners.

Not sure what DRM breaking are you talking about? I am pretty much able to fly PMDG with rift..even a little peeping in helps with programming the FMC..