Sign in to follow this  
Vicpdx17

To get Rnav working?

So I have been a PMDG flyer for awhile now and still to this day don't know how to get auto navigation running so the plane flies with the pink line on the cockpit displays. Best I have done so far was use the heading switch and turn it when I need to turn but it would be nice to get the plane to auto turn and land if possible.

Now I import RTE route files from Sim routes so I don't know if that would work or not.

So what should I do?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello,

First thing is definitely to fly the tutorial. You will learn how to properly configure and fly the aircraft RNAV.

Then, once you have done it several times depending on how many times you need, if you still have some questions, you are welcome to come back to get clarifications.

However, as everything is explained in the tutorial, the FCOM and the FCTM all provided with the NGX, do not expect too much to get someone to teach you how to fly the aircraft here on the forum.

OK, so you are showing the magenta lines which means you have an active route properly executed. What you want is to use the LNAV button in the MCP for roll mode and the VNAV button for the pitch mode. There are criteria which have to be met in order to engage LNAV, and VNAV. Like budbud says, you must fly the tutorial. Also, once engaged you will need the airplane properly trimmed to engage the autopilot. The two ways you will know that you have successfully engaged LNAV and VNAV are the corresponding buttons in the MCP lit up, and the FMA's in you PFD showing them active. You can handfly LNAV and VNAV modes with the flight director, or have the autopilot fly them for you.

Hi ALF1,

Answering the last question :

You can use FD to hand fly the awesome PMDG 737 serie in two modes :

1 - Purely Hand fly

2 - Hand fly using CWA CWB (Control Wheel Steering)

The difference is : CWA ....is more comfortably.....because it adjust Pitch without need to use elevator trim.......pull or push your yoke and the airliner remain in that position......and the aileron now rolls the airline fast ou slower and once you release it .....the airliner maintains the bank angle....

LNAV and VNAV are more appropriated when you want to follow what you have been programmed in FMC....i.e your DEP..ROUTE and ARR...and the HDG is the best way to follow a vectoring .

Nice Flights !!!!!!!

Marco Aurélio

ALF is correct.  However, there are a couple more things u need.  On the Performance page, you need a COST INDEX.  These vary airline to airline and will change as fuel prices fluctuate.  In a 737, 20, 30 or 40 are common numbers for the carrier I fly for.  You also need to have inflight winds and the temperature deviation programmed.  Once you have these numbers in (plus the ZFW and fuel weight), the aircraft has the numbers it needs to compute a climb, cruise and descent profile.   You can select LNAV before takeoff.   Once you are airborne and the aircraft cleaned up, select VNAV.  Then engage the autopilot.  Make sure the autothrottles are on.  With the autopilot in CMD mode and LVAV and VNAV selected, you are up in full RNAV mode.  Program in an arrival, program an RNAV approach (reset the RNP to the appropriate setting on the LEGS page).  Close all discontinuites on the FMC, set the altitude window to zero and watch the plane do it's magic.  You will have to drop gear and select flaps to get it to slow below the flaps up min maneuvering speed.