Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Throttle behaving strange with Aerosoft airbus when using xbox controller

I have been using JARDesign Airbus A320 and A330 on X-Plane and have been flying them with a game pad just like i do with the other tubeliners, like FlightFactor 777, PMDG 737, PMDG 777, and so forth. But the only plane I'm having a hard time with is Aerosoft Airbus series.

The throttle behaves differently and I know its recommended to fly this plane with a dedicated throttle. However that leaves us casual flyers out, which is a shame, because I can perfectly fly airbuses on X-Plane with my gamepad and the throttle behaves fine with my gamepad.

Is there any way to configure the throttle on aerosoft's airbuses to work with an xbox 360 controller?

I've tried assigning the throttle to the right control stick, which works fine, however, as soon as I let go off the stick the throttle idles back to its default position and doesn't stay where I left it. It's quite annoying and I have no idea how to get the throttle to stay in the position that I set it to.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Is there any way to configure the throttle on aerosoft's airbuses to work with an xbox 360 controller?

It should be the other way around, configure the controller to work with the Airbus. :)

I have used an X-box controller for the Airbus X (I suspect the JAR Designs aircraft are the same) and assigning throttles to it doesn't work, or at least not in the way you would want. The B and Y buttons control throttle universally and are set up by default that way, and you can control the amount of throttle applied with each button press by using the sliders in the controller config window.  I have yet to find a way to re-assign, but I suspect you cannot.

Lastly, you posted an X-Plane type question in the FSX/FSX:SE forum. :(

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I have been using JARDesign Airbus A320 and A330 on X-Plane and have been flying them with a game pad just like i do with the other tubeliners, like FlightFactor 777, PMDG 737, PMDG 777, and so forth. But the only plane I'm having a hard time with is Aerosoft Airbus series.

The throttle behaves differently and I know its recommended to fly this plane with a dedicated throttle. However that leaves us casual flyers out, which is a shame, because I can perfectly fly airbuses on X-Plane with my gamepad and the throttle behaves fine with my gamepad.

I've tried assigning the throttle to the right control stick, which works fine, however, as soon as I let go off the stick the throttle idles back to its default position and doesn't stay where I left it. It's quite annoying and I have no idea how to get the throttle to stay in the position that I set it to.

You answered your own question. In fact it's not that it's "recommended" to have a joystick, I think they actually state that it's a requirement. Of course that's not to say there aren't ways around it, but without a joystick Aerosoft won't give you any support.

Unless I'm missing something blatantly obvious, I'm gonna ask you the obvious. Why don't you get a joystick? It will completely enhance your simming experience, not to mention the fact that it will eliminate your problem. The good news is that it doesn't need to be a high end joystick either. After a quick Google search I discovered you can pick up a used one with a throttle control on Amazon for about €20.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Throttle works fine in the Aerosoft Airbus with my £40 Logitech 3D Pro.

I know it's kind of 3 years late and yes, you can call me a necromancer, but here's what I did:

1. installed vJoy from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vjoystick/
2. configured virtual joystick with just 2 axes - slider and dial (in my case I chose ID: 5 but you can choose whichever)
vJoy.JPG?dl=0
Joysticks%20CP.jpg
vJoyCP.JPG?dl=0

3. installed FreePIE from here: http://andersmalmgren.github.io/FreePIE/
FreePie.JPG

4.developed, configured, tested and use a script (hints also taken from https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=269643170) :
script: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj2o5hpjm8bolvb/xboxA320throttle.py

5. assigned in Prepar3D (or wherever you fly) Slider axis of my vJoy to Throttle/Thrust and Dial axis to Reverse Thrust
prepar3dconf.JPG

Now every time I want to play I just start FreePIE, load my script and Run it.
It translates your inputs on your xbox 360/one joystick buttons Y and B into control of 2 axes - slider and dial.
There is also a delay of 3 seconds when you put throttle to IDLE  (Slider to 0) before you can actually activate reverse thrusters.

P.S. it took me about an hour to compose this tutorial. PITS