Sign in to follow this  
Manny

After I got my GTX1070 and saw the improvement I decided to do a new build

I note that Asus specifically advises against using Prime, etc. for stress testing Five-Way Opt overclocks.

There is a footnote near the Real Bench section saying that if you want to use Prime you should manually overclock.

Very true, and it's not just when using 5WO... Asus aren't a fan of Prime 95 full stop. They point out, and rightly so, how it's a synthetic stress test that bares no resemblance to how we use our systems on a daily basis. 

I wouldn't say it's imperative that you manually overclock if you like to run Prime 95. As I mentioned above, there is an AVX option within 5WO, it's there for that very reason, for those that like to run synthetic stress tests including Prime. 

It's just a case of ticking the box and 5WO's built in stress tests will run AVX instruction sets. In which case, the max overclock is likely to be lower, voltage higher, but it should then be stable in Prime.

@martin: What would you say are the major advatages of 5WO vs. manual overclocking?

Gotta try the advices from the video I guess :-)

@martin: What would you say are the major advatages of 5WO vs. manual overclocking?

Gotta try the advices from the video I guess :-)

5WO does more than auto overclock of course. Fan tuning, energy saving and network tuning are all part of it's repertoire. 

But in terms of overclocking...

Certainly faster and less effort required. Rather than having to systematically increase frequency, stress test and increase voltage as required, it's simply a case of spending a few seconds entering the required parameters and then letting it do it's thing.

Ideal for those with limited overclocking experience. However, I wouldn't agree with Asus when they refer to it as "One Click Overclocking". There are quiet a few settings to consider. 

Useful for experienced overclockers too. The settings are entered into the UEFI and remain there even if you uninstall the software. I've come across some experienced overclockers who use 5WO for their basic overclock to save time and effort and then just tweak the overclock in the UEFI from there.

There is something else we might consider. When a new architecture's inbound, companies like Asus get the CPU's  before we do. In fact they test hundreds of CPU's well before they hit the shelves. From their tests, they formulate their auto rules. The point, is that Asus probably have a better understanding of what the CPU requires in terms of overclocking stability. I would suggest that this may be why some individuals have commented that 5WO applies a tad more voltage then they would manually overclocking. 

I don't want to sound like I'm a 5WO fanatic, but I do think that the software deserves a fair trail. Many times I have come across unfair criticism of the software. Everything from Individuals confusing it with the TPU 1 and 2 generic, one size fits all overclock, to  individuals entering the wrong settings.

Useful for experienced overclockers too. The settings are entered into the UEFI and remain there even if you uninstall the software.

Hi MArtin..

some good advice there.

I have manually OCed and saved the parameters  in profile 2.

Now If I use the 5WO where does it store it?  or can I go into BIOS and save the 5WO settings into a profile like 3?

I have my Manually saved in profile 2 and  If I don't like the 4WO  I am thinking can load up my profile 2 once again..The same way, how do I go back to the 5WO without doing the 5WO all over again?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

5WO will overwrite your current, active overclock. Save the 5WO overclock to a profile, profile 3 would be fine and it can be reinstated whenever you like.

If you don't like the 5WO overclock, simply reinstall your manual overclock from profile 2, where you saved it.

You can have your active overclock and as many different overclocks stored, up to the max number of profile slots Asus provide. 

Save multiple 5WO versions with different settings if you like, or a selection of manual overclocks. Different frequencies, voltage etc.

I added an extra fan to the 212 cooler and increased the Voltage to 1.35 and I was able to OC to 4.6Ghz and the temp on core 0 spikes to 85 at times but for the most part it settles around 70s when running P3D.

So for now I have to settle for 4.6Ghz unless I dismantle whole thing and install a Water cooler. The Liam Li Case is not conducive to change the Cooler without taking the PC apart.

Manny

4.6 is as good as you'll get with the Evo.

Remember though, a couple of hundred megahertz equates to very little in terms of frame rate. So you wouldn't gain anything significant even if you went to 4.8.

You say "water" but if the NH-D15S fits in your enclosure 4.8 is achievable with air.

Mine hits 4.6ghz at 1.3v, not tried pushing any higher

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Mine hits 4.6ghz at 1.3v, not tried pushing any higher

I need 1.39V for 4.4GHz-4.7GHz :-(

All below results in immediate freezes. But who cares? It is running stable and within good temperature limits. So it's ok for me :-)

Overall: I am really satisfied with the Skylake CPU!

My Gf wanted to know what I wish for for my birthday and I sent her the link to the Asus Strix 1080 OC. I think the price shocked her, but let's hope for the best :-D

• Upvote 2

I need 1.39V for 4.4GHz-4.7GHz :-(

All below results in immediate freezes. But who cares? It is running stable and within good temperature limits. So it's ok for me :-)

Overall: I am really satisfied with the Skylake CPU!

My Gf wanted to know what I wish for for my birthday and I sent her the link to the Asus Strix 1080 OC. I think the price shocked her, but let's hope for the best :-D

Think about the 1070.  I went from a 970 to a 1070 and the difference in smoothness was incredible

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Think about the 1070.  I went from a 970 to a 1070 and the difference in smoothness was incredible

Do you really see such a difference in P3D?

IF I upgrade I would go for the 1080.

Do you really see such a difference in P3D?

IF I upgrade I would go for the 1080.

"the difference in smoothness was incredible" pretty much says it all

UKV6427

I had to take it down to 4.5Ghz. and reduced the voltage to 1.32. It was unstable at 4.6Ghz 

I ran into an issue... the GTX1070 would not fit into my Liam Li Mid tower case... I had used an old video card to to test everything.. Then I started moving the SSDs and HDs and Video card over from my current cockpit to the new build.

Thats when I realized that the GTX1070 was long (it had no issue sitting on my Cooler master HAF) the box housing  which houses all the HDs was in the way... I then removed the HDs from the HD cage and shoved it in th 2.5" bay in the front meant for floppy disks etc..

I had to SSDs which I used velcro and stuck it at the back where you hide the cables wedged in between behind the MB and the outer cover.  I think from now onward I am going to use Velcro for all SSDs... so much better than using that adapter for HD. 

So folks, if you have a mid tower case and thinking of upgrading to the new video card,  check to make sure the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 or the Titan would fit...they may not.

I am glad I went with Win 7 instead of Win 10 cause My Avionics Radio Stack TR-1 would not have worked with Win 10.  I checked the site and they are still on Win 7 (driver wise).

I have installed all my ORbx sceneries...and simply copied over all my MS photo sceneries and the UK photo sceneries... Thank Gowd I could do that.. there is no way I can sit and reinstall all those MS files.

I then downloaded all the Flight beam and fSDT airports (I own all of them except the memphis one) and installed them but not activated them.. I have to now go hunt for all the keys. I am yet to install Flyu Tampa and other Aerosoft airport addons...

This is a real pain if you own too many Airports.. I never owned this many airports (FSX and P3D) for FS9. We have had a long time for FSX and P3D and been buying these airports. I wish there was some way to export an entire Flight sim with all its addons in one go and unpack em in  anew PC. LOL :)

So my new Pc With GTX1070 is pretty pretty pretty good. 

But then I am yet to install Ultimate Traffic, and few other stuff that could bring down my awesome system (For now) down quite a bit.

:smile:

Manny

I vote Manny to be our chief pathfinder product tester. :):):)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Now I have installed Ultimate Traffic and PMDG 777. I am a little underwhelmed with my FPS increase. Hmmm.. 

I have MEgascenery So cal. Flying from San Diego to LAX, inside the cockpit I get 20-23FPS . 

previous PC with 3770K CPU I probably got around 15FPS. Hmm.... that's 80% performance increase? I guess.

I  have not tweeked my Prepar3d.cfg now except the Affinitymask

Manny