Sign in to follow this  

After Friday supposedly Microsoft free win 10 upgrades stop. I am on win 10 upgraded from win 8 retail licence with transfer rights . Was about to upgrade to skylake. Any one know for sure if my win 10 licence will transfer or is it now tied to the motherboard. Cant find the info out anywhere and lots of conflicting info.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

It will be fine. Changing CPU, RAM and MB will trigger the activation process. Just do it on line in the normal way. failing that via the automated phone line.

Thanks for that planning motherboard change but cant get done before fridays deadline and really dont want to downgrade to win 8 with all the controller dropouts .So fingers crossed they will reactivate . Have extracted cd key in preparation and have my original win 8 key.

Colin hodds

CPU RAM and MB are changed frequently. Often multiple components need replacing as a result of cascade failures, one component kills others. For example a PSU failure killing a motherboard... Microsoft won't penalize you for swapping a few bits.

I would assume, in regard to a W10 upgrade, that as you aren't reinstalling the entire OS, [and have no W10 media to reinstall from]  just reactivation would be required like it always has been.

There are a multitude of users out there that have gone the upgrade path. Clearly many of those users will suffer component failure some time in the future and require OS reactivation. If Microsoft then wiped out there W10 installations simply because a MB graphics card or CPU failed, there would be an uproar, in addition it's diametrically opposed to Microsoft's objective...to have us all on W10.

If MS could have their way, even my cat would have W10.

That's my take on it.  :smile:

Anyone yet been brave enough to try an upgrade since july 29th who was on a win 7 or 8 retail licence upgraded to win 10 . Did microsoft reactivate with no issue . Couple of weeks off my upgrade .

Colin hodds

Anyone yet been brave enough to try an upgrade since july 29th who was on a win 7 or 8 retail licence upgraded to win 10 . Did microsoft reactivate with no issue . Couple of weeks off my upgrade .

I had no problem at all when I installed the anniversary update last night. Going from Win7 to Win10 on the other hand was a pain. I had a three hour support call with Microsoft before it was solved. The issue was related to their activation servers or something of the kind.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------