Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Tile coordinate problem with Ortho4XP

Hey,

I'm trying to build some ortho to go with MisterX's KLAX. 

Problem is, there seems to be a problem with the tile coordinates. The coordinates in say, Google earth for the tile that has KLAX is Lat: 33 Long: -118. So I made a tile with a base mesh from viewfinderpanoramas.org and the HD mesh as the custom overlay, the terrain turned into a blurry mesh. Looked like zoom level 1 with no details, autogen or anything on it.

The lat/long problem also shows up when previewing said coordinates in Ortho4XP. 

So am I misunderstanding something, is this normal, a bug or what? 

1xuu10.jpg

To get the correct tile, I need to use 33 -119 in Ortho4XP but do I still need to use 33 -118 base mesh, for example? When you use HD mesh as overlay, it will also use its 33 -119 to help build the tile, but 33 -119 in HD mesh is "correct", meaning it'll use a wrong title?

This makes it all very confusing. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

This isn't a bug and is correct. X-Plane uses the South West point of a tile as its coordinate, so find the GPS coordinate of the city or airport you want to generate, move to the west and South boundary and you'll get the tile coordinate, e.g. KLAX 33°56′33″N118°24′29″W, so the tile coordinate will be +33-119. It gets a little more confusing in the Southern Hemisphere but the same rule always applies (Go South and West till you hit the South West boundary and you will have your tile number)

• Upvote 1

This isn't a bug and is correct. X-Plane uses the South West point of a tile as its coordinate, so find the GPS coordinate of the city or airport you want to generate, move to the west and South boundary and you'll get the tile coordinate, e.g. KLAX 33°56′33″N118°24′29″W, so the tile coordinate will be +33-119. It gets a little more confusing in the Southern Hemisphere but the same rule always applies (Go South and West till you hit the South West boundary and you will have your tile number)

Yeah, I eventually discovered they used a different coordinate system. xOrganizer had a great map, where I could see the X-Plane's coordinate system and build my tiles from that. Thanks for the reply, Tony. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

On 8/2/2016 at 3:35 AM, tonywob said:

This isn't a bug and is correct. X-Plane uses the South West point of a tile as its coordinate, so find the GPS coordinate of the city or airport you want to generate, move to the west and South boundary and you'll get the tile coordinate, e.g. KLAX 33°56′33″N118°24′29″W, so the tile coordinate will be +33-119. ...

Southwest boundary of ...what? GoogleEarth?Skyvector? JeppCharts? VFR?, TAC?

As far as mesh goes, I quote from Oscar Pilote's  Ortho4XP manual  

"As one could expect, for Grand Canyon one can find public elevation data with an even higher resolution. For this example, we shall download the 1/3” arc file from USGSviewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/ (3DEP products → 1/3 arc-second DEM), which in this case is contained in the archive n37w113.zip due to a different naming scheme (north west corner).

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2