Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

P3d cfg and cfg.tmp

Hey guys my have noticed today that I receive both a cfg and cfg tmp after starting p3d

After deleting my cfg and created new one has this started to happen

I have no new scenery addons installed

I would like this permanently removed as it was before

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

Mike

I've got the same thing, never noticed it before. But since both files are only 16 KB total, I see no reason to worry about it. I guess you can delete the tmp file, but what's the point? it will only come back.

The only thing I have that is new in the last 3 or 4 months is the addition of AS16 and ASCA. It could be related to dynamic weather of that combination.

Still, 8KB doesn't seem something to worry about.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

It's strange I would like to know if it's an addon that causes this?

And why is it there?

Cheers

When you Install Active Sky 2016 full Version or Trial Version it will Automatically make a back-up of your Prepar3D.cfg and call it Prepar3D.cfg.temp.

I have found a special fix to remove this Temp file..................................Uninstall Active Sky 2016......And thats Not good  :smile:  :smile:

When you Install Active Sky 2016 full Version or Trial Version it will Automatically make a back-up of your Prepar3D.cfg and call it Prepar3D.cfg.temp.I have found a special fix to remove this Temp file..................................Uninstall Active Sky 2016......And thats Not good  :smile:  :smile:[/quote

Hi

I had as 16 installed full version as of early last week

And have not noticed it there when I was tweaking a little.

Cheers

Mike

So how do I stop a16 from creating p3dcfg tmp file

You can't as far as I can see. Not that an 8kb back-up copy of your cfg file is a problem anyway.

I'm not sure what if any changes AS makes to the P3D cfg. It likes to add an affinity setting in FSX, but as far as I can see nothing in P3D is changed, unless anyone knows better?

So how do I stop a16 from creating p3dcfg tmp file

Thanks

You don't.  It is there as a "back-up"  If anything was to get messed up with Active Sky 2016 and you had to Uninstall it,  The Uninstall process will remove the Prepar3D.cfg and replace it with the Prepar3D.temp (Original .cfg) 

Why does Active Sky 2016 create a back-Up of your prepar3D.cfg ?    Well for the reason outlined above ^^

Also,  When you Install Active Sky 2016 (Trial or full version)  It will Override 2 weather settings in your Prepar3D settings..........

Dynamic weather   Which translates to Rate at which weather changes over time in your Prepar3D settings,  By Default this is set to Medium (Dynamic weather=2)   Active Sky will change this to No change (Dynamic weather=0) 

Cloud Draw Distance   By Default this is set to 80 mi (Cloud_Draw_Distance=5)  Active Sky will change this to 90 mi  (Cloud_Draw_Distance=6)

It will also move the [MULTICHANNEL] section down a couple of lines.

So yes a back up .cfg is good 

Wel it would nice if it gave me the option to which folder I wanted the backup stored in.

As long as it does not affect performance in any way bein in same Folder

That's ok

Cheers

Mike

It wont effect performance at all,  "Temp" Means its turned off 

Also,  When you Install Active Sky 2016 (Trial or full version)  It will Override 2 weather settings in your Prepar3D settings..........Dynamic weather Which translates to Rate at which weather changes over time in your Prepar3D settings, By Default this is set to Medium (Dynamic weather=2) Active Sky will change this to No change (Dynamic weather=0)

Cloud Draw Distance By Default this is set to 80 mi (Cloud_Draw_Distance=5) Active Sky will change this to 90 mi (Cloud_Draw_Distance=6)

Ah-ha! Elaine :smile:  this is why I saw no change in my cfg, as I had already made these changes; maxing cloud draw distance, and setting 'No Change' so my own weather themes do not change over time.

And Mike::: 8kb is not worth losing any sleep over, as it will have zero affect on...... anything :wink:

• Upvote 1

You would probably regain 1000's time more disc space by doing a disc cleanup located in the properties box of your drive rather than spend time trying to figure out how to prevent a programs "fail-safe" 8kb back up file.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Just take a look in your aircraft panel folders. Depending on which add ons you use you'll find 3 or 4 different panel.cfg backups. It's been that way for a long time. Causes no problems, disk space usage is minimal.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors