Sign in to follow this  
bud7h7

Reinstalling FS9 after replacing HDD

It's been years since I did anything with FS9 files so I'm unsure about this process . . . .

I have FS (and all addons) on it's own drive, but my OS drive died and I lost files that default to My Documents and C:\Users. My entire FS installation is good except for those ^  missing files.

If I install a fresh FS9 in a new location (a third drive) those files currently missing should get placed in the above locations. Does that sound right? Am I missing anything?

(Windows 7)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Bud,

If I understand you correctly it seems that everything should be okay.  I am assuming that the OS will be on yet another new drive, replacing the failed one.  I recently installed FS9 and have Win 7 Pro 64 bit.  I had to use the NoCD option to even get FS9 to start.  Everything seems to be working properly now.

Jim F

Thanks for the reply Jim. Yes the OS is on it's own drive as well.

I installed a fresh copy on a third drive (this drive contains all my other games). I can't get FS9 to even launch now, same as you described. I haven't started the sim in about 2 years, even before the hard drive crash, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I also still have no FS9 registry entry, even after running the Flight1 repair tool. I'll try the no-CD patch if I can find it.

Update: the no-cd file works. Looks good so far.

Hi again,

I just Googled FS9 NoCD and the patch is readily available.  Before installing it I found that the problem is related to a recent Windows update.  There was some further info regarding the problem but I didn't bother looking into it further once I realized I wasn't alone in having the problem.

Jim

Hi, I found the 9.1 version and it works fine. And so far it seems I didn't need to reinstall FS9 at all,. Once I ran the sim, the missing folders and files were created.

Hi again,

Glad to hear it's working now.  As this topic is likely to arise again let me ask you when you refer to the "9.1 version" are you referring to the update? And, if so, was anything else required to get things to work?

Jim