Sign in to follow this  
him225

how is the time setting suppose to be used

More than not I use the sim in sync with current GMT which ever part of the globe I may. Except for the time zone inaccuracies which were corrected by some free fixes, I liked the way FSX handled timezones - it preserved the GMT when changing location, whether it be at startup screen or in sim change of location. I had a local airport flight set in as default with fsx set to take system time and didn't need to touch the time setting after that. But I am confused about how LM intends the user to use the time setting in p3d - at first the startup screen would preserve the local time which I found quiet unsettling and thought was a bug, then they did this in sim too. How is fixing local time more useful or better than fixing GMT? Now I am having to doubly load scenery if I decide to change location when in sim - first to move location then second after correcting time. I think preserving GMT was a more appropriate way and should have been kept as an option at least, or have I missed it?

When you change location in the sim there is a tick box that let's you adjust the time or keep the time. I think tick box on results in the time staying the exact same no matter what (so 10 AM in Europe will stay 10 AM in the US or China) and tick box off results in the time staying GMT (so 10 AM in Europe results in 3 AM in the US and 16 AM in China).

ok, unticking that checkbox at the bottom of change location window got it back to normal. Easy to miss that setting.

Is there a similar setting for startup screen aswell?

• Upvote 1

I've never been able to get the time to work with the startup screen. Whether checked or unchecked, the time is always tied to my local time. It's disappointing at this stage of development that something as basic as the time function is so difficult to manage.

I've never been able to get the time to work with the startup screen. Whether checked or unchecked, the time is always tied to my local time. It's disappointing at this stage of development that something as basic as the time function is so difficult to manage.

Can't check right now but I do think there is a General setting that tells the sim to use local time or not. Together with the already mentioned tick box that should solve these time problems.

EDIT

I presumed you were talking about the time tick box I mentioned earlier, the one you see when changing location while in the sim: maybe you were already talking about this general setting...? Anyway, these two options should do the trick...

Can't check right now but I do think there is a General setting that tells the sim to use local time or not. Together with the already mentioned tick box that should solve these time problems.

EDIT

I presumed you were talking about the time tick box I mentioned earlier, the one you see when changing location while in the sim: maybe you were already talking about this general setting...? Anyway, these two options should do the trick...

They work after the plane is loaded, but do not work from the scenario start screen. Thus, I have to first load the plane at whatever time and then change the time after the scenario is loaded. At least this is the only way I found to get UTC time to work at a different location.

or to google the current local time of the startup location is how I presently workaround it. The startup screen seem broke with the time thing. It does not change to the time offset of a new selected location either as seen by toggling the GMT checkbox.

Yeah, I got frustrated enough with the scenario set up screen's time feature to just skip it.  I load the aircraft where I want it and after it loads I set the date/time.  Even if you hold your tongue right, it will still mess up occasionally because the date change always occurs at local midnight and not 0001Z.  You'd think a professional flight simulator would be based on UTC and provide a local time just for convenience.

Dan Downs KCRP

I use FS RealTime. It is an inexpensive little program that sets FSX time.

http://www.3dsoftworks.net/products/fsrealtime/

High recommendation

Neal Howard​

+1 Great little program. I highly recommend it. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor