Sign in to follow this  
darqen27

PMDG Support, Failure on reverse prop

Recommended Posts

Quoted from PMDG support

 

"We did read your ticket and have seen your forum post.  Just so we are clear, your choice not to use Throttle Hardware is a choice you have made, not a bug in the software.  99% of our customer base who run the DC-6 (and other products as well) use Throttle hardware.   That leaves 1% of users who choose to use a keyboard only set up.  Our decision not to create separate key commands for Reverse Thrust for keyboard only users (currently 1% of customers) is not a bug, is was by design. "

 

Where does this figure come from? 99% of your users? Thats bull! You do not state this anywhere in the manuals or information on the purchase screen. It is a bug if it is not specified.

 

So just to be clear, you purposely made it so that those of us without a throttle quadrant can not use reverse prop pitch, but you do not state it anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Quoted from PMDG support

 

"We did read your ticket and have seen your forum post. Just so we are clear, your choice not to use Throttle Hardware is a choice you have made, not a bug in the software. 99% of our customer base who run the DC-6 (and other products as well) use Throttle hardware. That leaves 1% of users who choose to use a keyboard only set up. Our decision not to create separate key commands for Reverse Thrust for keyboard only users (currently 1% of customers) is not a bug, is was by design. "

 

Where does this figure come from? 99% of your users? Thats bull! You do not state this anywhere in the manuals or information on the purchase screen. It is a bug if it is not specified.

 

So just to be clear, you purposely made it so that those of us without a throttle quadrant can not use reverse prop pitch, but you do not state it anywhere.

PMDG has to work within the constraints of the overall simulation. This is XPlane, not FSX, and this is how reverse thrust works on ALL XP aircraft.

 

I have the Flight Factor 767, 777 and 757, the Rotate MD-80, the IXEG 737 Classic, and FlyJSim 737-200 and 727-200, and they all work exactly the same way. In every one of these add-on aircraft, reverse mode CAN be toggled with a keyboard command or joystick button, but once reverse is unlocked, it requires a hardware throttle axis to actually apply reverse thrust above idle.

 

I think it is unfair of you to slam PMDG for "deliberately" designing the DC-6 this way. They are simply using the internal features of XPlane that Laminar Research provides, which multiple other add-on developers use as well.

 

Perhaps it "might" be possible to build some kind of custom module to override the core functionality that XP provides, and make full reverse possible without a hardware axis , but that would be a lot of trouble to meet the needs of a small minority of users, and an approach that might well break other core features of the sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where does this figure come from? 99% of your users? Thats bull! You do not state this anywhere in the manuals or information on the purchase screen. It is a bug if it is not specified.

 

Justin:

 

It's very disheartening that you'd come here to take a person-to-person interaction and place it in public for the purpose of shaming us. The messages that go through the support aren't exactly the same sort of private discussions that one might expect when sending normal emails between a person and a friend or family member, but there's still somewhat of an unspoken agreement in any direct communication that you don't openly post it in public as you have. I get that you're frustrated, but any sympathy that you might've garnered with anyone is now essentially out the window.

 

 

 

So just to be clear, you purposely made it so that those of us without a throttle quadrant can not use reverse prop pitch, but you do not state it anywhere.

 

As Jim mentions, we have to work within the confines of the sim. Right after sending my message to you in the support system, I went into our tracking system and offered it up as something to look into side-stepping in the future. The other Tech also offered to mention it to the DC-6 Dev Team. All the same, as the other tech noted, you're using a very non-standard setup to control the aircraft and sim. Stick/Throttle setups really aren't that expensive or fancy, either. One can pick up an old MS Sidewinder on Amazon for about $15. If you're looking to splurge, you can get an old X-45 for about the price of the plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justin:

 

It's very disheartening that you'd come here to take a person-to-person interaction and place it in public for the purpose of shaming us. The messages that go through the support aren't exactly the same sort of private discussions that one might expect when sending normal emails between a person and a friend or family member, but there's still somewhat of an unspoken agreement in any direct communication that you don't openly post it in public as you have. I get that you're frustrated, but any sympathy that you might've garnered with anyone is now essentially out the window.

 

 

 

 

As Jim mentions, we have to work within the confines of the sim. Right after sending my message to you in the support system, I went into our tracking system and offered it up as something to look into side-stepping in the future. The other Tech also offered to mention it to the DC-6 Dev Team. All the same, as the other tech noted, you're using a very non-standard setup to control the aircraft and sim. Stick/Throttle setups really aren't that expensive or fancy, either. One can pick up an old MS Sidewinder on Amazon for about $15. If you're looking to splurge, you can get an old X-45 for about the price of the plane.

I think if the mechanics of the axis control and the definitions of the sim were explained to me(I am a programmer/electrical engineer), I would have just shut up and gone out for a throttle axis.

I can only explain things from my point of view which seemed like PMDG was going out of its way to not fix something that looked broken. I had no idea it was actually neccessary for it to be this way for the "Majority" with axis controls.

 

Apoligies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this