Sign in to follow this  
moelkady

Upgrading from FSX dx10 to P3D V3 ?

Hi,

I am wanting to know if it is worth it to upgrade from FSX using dx10 to P3D V3.

Being an FSX user for the last few years I have really got used to it but I never really intended to get P3D until the idea of better performance and stability got to me. I am pretty happy with FSX performance but my experience with stability and crashes has not been that well until using fsuipc. I have heard that P3D V3 is a big upgrade and worth the money but is it worth changing from FSX?

Some addons I use: 737 NGX, fs2crew, fsuipc, REX 4, GSX, vpilot and some Flytampa sceneries.

Specs: (Intel i5-4460/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 2GB)

Hi,

I am wanting to know if it is worth it to upgrade from FSX using dx10 to P3D V3.

Being an FSX user for the last few years I have really got used to it but I never really intended to get P3D until the idea of better performance and stability got to me. I am pretty happy with FSX performance but my experience with stability and crashes has not been that well until using fsuipc. I have heard that P3D V3 is a big upgrade and worth the money but is it worth changing from FSX?

Some addons I use: 737 NGX, fs2crew, fsuipc, REX 4, GSX, vpilot and some Flytampa sceneries.

It is worth it! :) I did the exact same thing as you a couple of months ago. In terms of Performance, It is very good (Still not Perfect) but I think its the best its going to be for a while. Stability is very very good, I've only seen crashes when I've been doing something very idiotic like upgrading graphic drivers mid-flight. Also the graphics are stunning. The HDR Lighting is amazing and really improves your experience.

It is also very easy to set up (For most people) For some people it takes a little more.

The Choice is yours. I haven't looked back once!  :smile:

• Upvote 1

My only problem now is that will all my addons work properly with V3 without problems because I heard there was comparability problems for addons with V3 compared to V2

The addons I use

737 NGX, fs2crew, fsuipc, REX 4, GSX, vpilot, fly Tampa sceneries, ASN

The addons I use

737 NGX, fs2crew, fsuipc, REX 4, GSX, vpilot, fly Tampa sceneries, ASN

All of these have had updates for P3D, You will have to buy the PMDG NGX Again to get the P3D licence. However some aircraft like the Aerosoft Airbus X work with all versions from FSX-P3DV3 Including FSX:SE, Hope this helps! :)

Hi,

I also use FSX (gold boxed) DX10, I also own P3D but have found that my system which is a bit older now (i7 2700k @4.7ghz, GTX 680, P8Z77-V pro/Thunderbolt) runs FSX better than P3D

My rig runs P3D pretty decent just not to the standard I want it.

In my opinion if you think you have a strong enough rig you should definitely go with P3D if not then I feel like FSX DX10 is still pretty darn good.

Hope this helps

Greg Z

I have similar specs, and since you mentioned the 737 NG and FlyTampa, then I reckon you aim to fly airliners. Well, I can tell you the P3D experience is kinda lousy on the airliner end of things. Without better hardware, you'll have to keep anti-aliasing at a lower setting and any sparse-grid sampling off, many sliders reduced just to have bearable frame rates and even then things look very jaggy and ugly, and the performance still won't be as smooth. I've spent many hours and hours trying to squeeze the most out of my hardware in P3D, but P3D just outright demands more than I can give it. So I stick to FSX and DX10 when it comes to flying airliners where I get better performance and image quality

However, on the general aviation side of things, my P3D experience has been quite nice. The aircraft usually don't demand as much as the airliners do, and I can get by with my settings turned up a bit.

Anyways, just my two cents, but I figured I'd throw in some caution when it comes to your current hardware. Like I said, I have similar hardware, and P3D just runs and looks like crap when I try to throw in some sophisticated airline simulation.

Hi,

I also use FSX (gold boxed) DX10, I also own P3D but have found that my system which is a bit older now (i7 2700k @4.7ghz, GTX 680, P8Z77-V pro/Thunderbolt) runs FSX better than P3D

My rig runs P3D pretty decent just not to the standard I want it.

In my opinion if you think you have a strong enough rig you should definitely go with P3D if not then I feel like FSX DX10 is still pretty darn good.

Hope this helps

Greg Z

Hi, My friend who could not run P3D tried unparking his CPU and It helped a lot. It seems to be with older GPUs, but this helped too

The main difference from FSX DX10 to P3Dv3 for me is visual. With UTX2/FTX global on both systems, P3D is dramatically superior. Performance wise, P3D is ahead just. However, too much AI and extreme high settings, P3D will still stagger at major hubs like EGLL and EDDF.

Hi, My friend who could not run P3D tried unparking his CPU and It helped a lot. It seems to be with older GPUs, but this helped too

Ah yes, that's good advice indeed, I've tried this on my system with minimal results but it could quite possibly work well on another rig for sure.

Thanks

Greg Z

So for my machine which program will utilize my specs more for performance

Specs: (Intel i5-4460/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 2GB)

In my opinion, I think your system would handle FSX DX10 better, your GPU only has 2GB and your i5-4460 CPU might not totally be up to the task of P3D, but it is really hard to say as all systems are so different.

In my opinion, I think your system would handle FSX DX10 better, your GPU only has 2GB and your i5-4460 CPU might not totally be up to the task of P3D, but it is really hard to say as all systems are so different.

I have a 960 and my P3D runs really well, however that is probably due to my 4790K, I would say is 4460 & 760 could get him around 20-25 depending on the scenario

You should be good, depending on your situation you could achieve 20-25 frames (It is pretty good)

I can't believe none of us have mentioned this yet, If you go ahead and buy P3D and it doesn't work out so well on your rig you can always get a refund.

There's plenty of time to test different areas and who knows, mabey your system will handle it really well

Hope this helps

Greg Z

http://www.prepar3d.com/support/refundpolicy/