Sign in to follow this  
iznogood

FSX stop/freezes for few seconds

Hello everybody,

I am a little bit stuck with this issue. My FSX freezes around Warsaw location (EPWA and vicinity) for few seconds (3-5s) the process gets inactive then resumes and everything seems fine for the next 2-3 minutes and freezes again. (The task manager shows no other process that could be causing it).

I've looked through the internet for similar cases, found some but it didn't get me any closer. The closest issue was raised here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/284736-fsx-stopsfreezes-regulary/

but it turned out FSDT/Cloud9 installer was causing that and it is not my case. My freezing started (I guess) after the installation of the "EPWA Warsaw Chopin Airport X by Drzewiecki Design"... I tested with only this scenery activated as well as with no addon scenery at all (default) -> same freezing result.

I was told in the producer's support forum that SimObject Dispaly Engine(SODE) that is required with this scenery might be causing this. I have the latest version 1.3.4 also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it -> no sucess.

I also tried playing with the display sliders, no luck. Also no result with a new regenerated fsx.cfg.

I've been flying around a bit and I've never encountered this freezing elsewhere so far.

I would really appreciate your help/suggestions/ideas.

Thank you in advance!

Kamel.

My Spex:

FSX, DX10, Win10 x64 
MoBo: MSI B150 PC MATE 
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR4 2133MHz CL14 
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500, 3.2GHz 
Cool: SilentiumPC Fera 3 HE1224 (SPC144) 
GPU: Sapphire R9 390 NITRO 
SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB 
HDD: Seagate (ST1000DM003) 
PU: Enermax MaxPro 80+ 600W 
Case: SilentiumPC Pax M70

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I was told in the producer's support forum that SimObject Dispaly Engine(SODE) that is required with this scenery might be causing this. I have the latest version 1.3.4 also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it -> no sucess.

I also tried playing with the display sliders, no luck. Also no result with a new regenerated fsx.cfg.

You have pretty much hit every possible solution to your problem.  I could sit here and easily say, there is no solution because you have checked everything out and have crossed all the "t's" to make sure you missed nothing.  That's appreciated as some of us will recommend a possible "fix" but you have already tried that. 

Have you ever tried disabling SODE in the dll.xml and exe.xml?  In the AVSIM CTD Guide (also known as AVSIM Freeze Guide), I made recommendations for investigating the scene of the crime as I call it.  You move the dll.xml, exe.xml, the fsx.cfg, and scenery.cfg to a temporary directory.  See if this fixes the freezes.  If it does then it is in one of those files and now you have to figure out which one.  I recommend bringing back the dll.xml and exe.xml first as it will load the modules needed to run some of the payware you were using when the freezes occurred.  Does this cause the freezes again?  If so, it's one of the modules in the dll.xml or exe.xml.  The CTD Guide shows you how to disable modules so they will not load at start up.  Perhaps you have a bad or missing module.  Or you might have duplicate entries.  Unfortunately you have to investigate because there is no known fix that works for everyone.  The AVSIM CTD Guide has several probable solutions we found across the Internet but again, they do not work for everyone.

Did you know a Power Supply Unit, if not properly powered, can cause freezes or unexplained crashes?  You have a 600W PU and that might be good enough for many normal operation but running FSX and the various software takes a lot of resources to make FSX run properly.  Nothing flashes up on the screen that it is your underpowered PSU.  It just happens.

Your CPU sits pretty low on the totem pole in comparison to other CPU's - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-6500+%40+3.20GHz.  It should be able to run FSX w/DX10 Preview well but not with high settings in the config or the display driver.  You have to be careful how you configure FSX.  Conservative settings.  Nothing to dramatic especially if you want to use commercial weather program and a payware aircraft like those from PMDG.  Stutter, stutter, stutter.

If you have high fsx and display driver settings, it will take longer for the "EPWA Warsaw Chopin Airport X by Drzewiecki Design" software to render.  If the software is not FSX compliant with .dds textures, it could make rendering even worse.  The airport also has a ton of "eye-candy" and absolutely stunning rendering of the real airport but eye-candy can be harmful to many computers.

If you have any tweaks whatsoever in your FSX.cfg, this could be an issue too but you state you rebuilt your FSX.cfg and that did not stop the freezing.  But your description of it freezing 3-5 seconds is common with high settings or tweaks in the configs.  Hopefully you can narrow it down by disabling things in your dll.xml and lowering display driver and fsx.cfg settings.

A link to the AVSIM CTD Guide is in my signature.  I also recommend the settings for the fsx.cfg and NVidia Inspector shown in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  The settings are higher than I really wanted but they get rid of the jaggies.  Also, don't forget to reinstall the highmemfix=1 fix after rebuilding the FSX.cfg.  It is needed and not a tweak but an actual fix to FSX.

Best regards,

Hello Jim,

I recommend bringing back the dll.xml and exe.xml first as it will load the modules needed to run some of the payware you were using when the freezes occurred.  Does this cause the freezes again?  If so, it's one of the modules in the dll.xml or exe.xml.  The CTD Guide shows you how to disable modules so they will not load at start up.  Perhaps you have a bad or missing module.  Or you might have duplicate entries.  Unfortunately you have to investigate because there is no known fix that works for everyone.  The AVSIM CTD Guide has several probable solutions we found across the Internet but again, they do not work for everyone.

dll.xml was causing it You nailed it!

I did no try to reset the dll.xml file because when I deleted the SODE so it just deleted the entry in the dll.xml itself and I did not get suspicious.

Well I did reset the file now and worked all fine (without SODE ofc). Funny thing is that dll.xml looks exactly the same now but it works. i guess it got corrupted somehow like you said.

Thank you very much your extensive explanation and assistance. I really appreciate it.

Have a great day!

Kamel