Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Post migration night texture hassle

OK so I have tried migration but this breaks being able to use Zinertek's (much brighter) night textures which, pre-migration, worked just fine with FTX Global/Vector and regions disabled.  Unfortunately, post-migration, disabling the regions in SceneryConfigurator doesn't have the same effect as pre-migration.  Reinstalling Zinertek's texture makes no difference. Fortunately I do have a pre-migation backup so what "bad things" will happen if I just ignore this migration nonsense (which gives me nothing - switching regions was never an issue for me) and continue as before with a pre-migration FSX?

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Ignoring the migration "nonsense" will result in your not being able to use any more Orbx sceneries post OpenLC NA.  You can download 'em and install 'em but your sim will suffer all sorts of problems displaying the scenery.  It's your choice.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

What Stew says has not been my experience.

When the problems arose some months back, I turned off my Central updates before I could be affected and I have not migrated.

Admittedly, I don't have Global etc, only Regions. Like Bruce, switching Regions is not an issue for me.

Since the release of OpenLC NA, I have bought, installed and successfully used the subsequently released Narvik and Melbourne v3. Each time, the version of Libs I have run after installation has been the 160321 version (the last one before the problems arose), not the current one.

I accept that the path I have taken means that when Obbx takes over scenery selling from FSS, me being not part of the new system probably means that I won't be able to acquire any new Orbx sceneries but I figure that if I am enjoying what I already have (over the years, I may have bought more scenery than I should have) and have experienced no problems with it, why chance my luck unnecessarily. I realise that I may be in a very small minority with my approach, which may even appear somewhat "heretical" to some.

Gary

Gary,  It was my understanding that the "new" sceneries might be installed and used, but only to a limited extent, since the new sceneries would utilize the new lookup system.  If you are not experiencing any issues in this regard, then I was mistaken and probably confused about the entire issue.   :wink:   I do know that you cannot use the new OpenLC NA without going through the migration routines.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Stew

It may be that my recent experience has been assisted by the absence of Global etc and by still being able to run the old version of Libs, a combination which may not be currently available for use by many.

Gary

What Stew says has not been my experience.

When the problems arose some months back, I turned off my Central updates before I could be affected and I have not migrated.

Admittedly, I don't have Global etc, only Regions. Like Bruce, switching Regions is not an issue for me.

Since the release of OpenLC NA, I have bought, installed and successfully used the subsequently released Narvik and Melbourne v3. Each time, the version of Libs I have run after installation has been the 160321 version (the last one before the problems arose), not the current one.

I accept that the path I have taken means that when Obbx takes over scenery selling from FSS, me being not part of the new system probably means that I won't be able to acquire any new Orbx sceneries but I figure that if I am enjoying what I already have (over the years, I may have bought more scenery than I should have) and have experienced no problems with it, why chance my luck unnecessarily. I realise that I may be in a very small minority with my approach, which may even appear somewhat "heretical" to some.

Gary

After some experimentation this is what I have also done except that I also have global and vector.  I run the 160321 libs and have updates disabled in FTX Central. I have since installed Open LC NA 2 and YMML v3. Now Open LC did initially cause some display corruption but this was fixed by reinstalling FTX Global v 1.2 (this may not work with v1.4) and the Zinertek night textures. As I was eligible for discounts with OLC NA and YMML v3 I was keen to see if I could get these to work without migration.  In the future I suspect OLC releases may have issues for me but we will see.  I reckon I am past Orbx full fat regions (I have all that have been released to date) as I mainly fly the NGX and the T7 and FTX Global/Vector with OLC or UTX is all I really need for that type of flying.  Now if all this goes pear shaped I do have a backup FSX install that has been migrated successfully and it may be that after Orbx takes over from FSS in selling its own stuff I will still have to go down that path.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."