Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

TBM 850 Fuel Management

Does anyone know the proper procedure to equally distribute / burn the fuel from both the left and right tank?  I have switched the Fuel Selector to Auto  and flipped the switch to Auto  but it doesn't seem to burn fuel from both tanks evenly.  Then I get a fuel imbalance warning.  And it effects the aircraft stability when hand flying...

Thanks!

The TBM automatically switches (with fuel sector set on Auto) tanks from one side to the other every 10 minutes. This assumes that you are not at max power beyond liftoff. It helps to make sure you have equal amounts of fuel in each wing prior to startup. 

Hello, after starting the aircraft, you must pass FUEL SEL to MAN and only click once SHIFT (just below the auxiliary pump button)

Page 14 TBM normal procedure, I have helped you.

I notice the auto fuel does seem to work however it doesn't keep the quantities in mind. During climb I use much more fuel and the system swtiches to the other tank somewhat in the beginning of cruise. From that point on I have a slight inbalance because at cruise I use less fuel so the second tank is used less before it switches back to the first tank. 

I notice the auto fuel does seem to work however it doesn't keep the quantities in mind. During climb I use much more fuel and the system swtiches to the other tank somewhat in the beginning of cruise. From that point on I have a slight inbalance because at cruise I use less fuel so the second tank is used less before it switches back to the first tank. 

Ok i have found the issue i think i may have been turning the BP AUX off rather than Auto,  Anyway its working now.

It switches every 1min 15s on the ground and changes based on what the aircraft is doing, In the cruise it goes upto switching every 10 minutes,

You are right the switch is purely based on time, The time length decided on what the aircraft is doing, higher GPH will shorten the time to switch, from what i read it either 1m 15s or 10m.

If one tank is lower than the other for whatever reason then you can force an early switch using the Switch bp button or switching to manual fuel selection until the imbalance has gone, don't forget to switch back to Auto.

you can have a maximum of 15USG difference before the imbalance alert comes on.